SRX

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Switching Questionnaire for Pre-Sales to ask customers

Posted 08-19-2019 01:48

Hi,

I was wondering if Juniper has a Questionaire table or something alike that we can send to our customers once they have a switching requirement. A lot of them just send that they need a switch that has 24 or 48 port but later on, we discover that they wanted it to support PoE+ or Redundant, Virtual Chassis, MACSec,  etc...

Does anybody have this or the right questions that we can ask?

Thanks in advance. 

#design
    #switching
    #Pre-Sales
    #Questionnaire

• 2.  RE: Switching Questionnaire for Pre-Sales to ask customers
    Best Answer

Posted 08-19-2019 02:07

There is no specific questionnie available AFAIK.

However you may use folloinwg point while discussing.

1. What is the planned usage of switches? Where they are deploying the switch? Core/Access or Dist.

2. Is there any increase in traffic any 1 or 2 fold in coming 3 years?

3. How many ports is the customer looking per switch?

4. How many of the switches to be brough in to single VC?

5. Type of ports PoE or Non PoE

6. Any requirements of multi-gig ports?

7. Any specific throughput related requirements?

8. Uplink types? Speed?

9. Fiber - MM or SM?

10. Features sets required (i.e. IGMP, PIM, MSDP, OSPF, MAC Sec etc)

11. Any requirements of managing all the switches in single control plane?

12. Any requirements of network management tool

13. Does customer require RPSU?

14. Type of Power cords

• 3.  RE: Switching Questionnaire for Pre-Sales to ask customers

Posted 08-19-2019 04:23

Thanks 

• 4.  RE: Switching Questionnaire for Pre-Sales to ask customers

Posted 08-20-2019 07:20
      |   view attached

I prepared it.

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: Switching Questionnaire for Pre-Sales to ask customers

Posted 08-19-2019 04:12

instead of asking a generic questionaire i would go about this a bit differently.  I would first either know what they have as an installed base now or find that out. then look at utilization of what they have and from that data you can get a idea on a upgrade path that includes growth and on top of that you always want to be able to be able to go to at least the next level of interface (such as being able to go from 1ge cross or uplinks to 10ge as an example).  Also many customers have say a instll base of ex4200's. You shouldnt be selling them more ex4200's as they are somewhat eol so move to the 4300 instead as its got a much longer life expectancy in hardware and code. its a lot easier for a customer to justify adding 4300's in the mix rather than say ripping it all out for a qfx or something in a completly new product time. always leverage what they have now unless its all complete junk or eol . and at same time make sure there is at least 2 years before your recommendation goes EOL becasue they will be very unhappy to find out they cant get a support contract on thier 1 year old gear that is not being supported in a near timeframe.. also if it was me designing it i would make sure there is a path to 10ge as its growth  is gonna keep accelerating. 

• 6.  RE: Switching Questionnaire for Pre-Sales to ask customers

Posted 08-19-2019 04:21

You're right about being aware of the growth and EOL in addition to providing the customers with the latest products. But I was focusing on general questionnaires for daily quote requests that still aren't mature deals. It will be very helpful for daily tasks.