SRX

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Hard numbers on max routing-instances: SRX110H2-VA

Posted 11-19-2013 10:28

Is there updated information available on the maximum number of routing-instances that can be handled on the SRX branch series? The latest info I have is from http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000281-en.pdf, but that doesn't have info on the newer high-mem (2GB) SRX110.

Also:

1. The spec sheet talks about the max number of "virtual routers"; is this some loose terminology for "routing instances", or is the max strictly referring to instance-type virtual-router? In other words: do FBFs and VRFs count towards the max of 3?

2. Is the master table counted towards the total? In other words, does a max of 3 mean master + 2 additional routing-instances, or master + 3 additional routing-instances?

3. What are the risks in exceeding the listed max number? Are we just looking at possible degraded performance, or will we e.g. get grief from JTAC if we have an issue with a production router with > 3 VRs? A simple VR with just a default static route is a lot lighter than e.g. an instance running heavy IGP load with a big stack of prefixes, and I would assume Juniper wrote the spec sheet to cover the heavier cases rather than the lighter ones, no?

#specification
    #performance
    #routing-instance

• 2.  RE: Hard numbers on max routing-instances: SRX110H2-VA

Posted 12-19-2013 14:37

bump; no thoughts on this?

• 3.  RE: Hard numbers on max routing-instances: SRX110H2-VA

Posted 12-19-2013 19:29

1. It is talikng about routing instances.

2.I guess master table wont count, or it will not be a part of virtual instances( have doubt on this)

3.And exceeeding the limit, it will show some error while configure (i guess) Better create a case with JTAC and what they say confirm it here also.

• 4.  RE: Hard numbers on max routing-instances: SRX110H2-VA
    Best Answer

Posted 12-21-2013 01:17

I have not seen any release on the new systems that are coming out, but here is the speck sheet.

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000265-en.pdf

For the most part part, unless the features are licensed features, you can generally exceed the limits, with some warning and prompts, however you run the risk of crashing the system due to running out of memory.

• 5.  RE: Hard numbers on max routing-instances: SRX110H2-VA

Posted 06-12-2014 09:17
    This is an old message, but thanks for the reply. I guess the question came up since there we had not yet run into any warnings/prompts, and I had seen configs with up to 10 VRs that also did not hit any warnings/prompts. Given that the memory on the branch SRXs have been bumped pretty much across the board to 2GB, I'm guessing running a few more VRs in a simple (packet-mode only) config would likely not be an issue. The main concern was if JTAC would give us any trouble if we ran more than 4 VRs, but I don't think we'll get any solid answers on that unless we actually open a JTAC case and see. Cheers