SRX

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX5400 not support RPM by source and destination? Any other alternative?

Posted 08-06-2020 16:09

Hi all,

I'm already check on juniper pathfinder and it said the RPM not support on SRX5k series. So any other alternative that i can do RPM for failover scenario same like SRX1500?

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB22052&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1350650857447

Thanks and appreciate your feedback

• 2.  RE: SRX5400 not support RPM by source and destination? Any other alternative?

Posted 08-06-2020 20:43

Hi Kronicklez,

Please be informed that RPM probes are supported with SRX Highend series devices but IP-monitoring with Route failover is not supported.

As an alternative, you can use event-options to push the routes into the routing table when the probe fails - https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB35533&actp=METADATA

• 3.  RE: SRX5400 not support RPM by source and destination? Any other alternative?

Posted 08-07-2020 08:43

Hi Noobmaster,

Is it anything i need to fine tune if i'm use FBF method based on url that u given? Also i'm use both default route? If i look config below it look like show to RPM?

services {
    rpm {
    probe Failover-ISP1 {
    test probe-failover {
    probe-type icmp-ping;
    target address 30.30.86.1;
    probe-count 5;
    probe-interval 1;
    test-interval 5;
    thresholds {
    successive-loss 10;
    total-loss 3;
    }
    destination-interface reth2.10;
    ##
    ## Warning: statement ignored: unsupported platform (srx5400)
    ##
    next-hop 30.30.86.1;
    }
    }
    probe Failover-ISP2 {
    test probe-failover {
    probe-type icmp-ping;
    target address 20.20.86.1;
    probe-count 5;
    probe-interval 1;
    test-interval 5;
    thresholds {
    successive-loss 10;
    total-loss 3;
    }
    destination-interface reth2.20;
    ##
    ##
    next-hop 20.20.86.1;
    }
    }
    }
    }

Thanks and appreciate your feedback

• 4.  RE: SRX5400 not support RPM by source and destination? Any other alternative?

Posted 08-08-2020 03:57

Hi Kronicklez,

I think implementing FBF which includes Routing-Instance with event-options is a long shot. I never tried but think it should work.

1. Configuring Routing-Instance and separate default routes.

2. Performing route import/export between the instances.

3. Configuring RPM with probe targets.

4. Using event-options to deactivate ISP-1 route when it is down and activating when its back.

I may missed few steps in between because I never tried with this combination.

• 5.  RE: SRX5400 not support RPM by source and destination? Any other alternative?

Posted 08-13-2020 07:48

Hi Noobmaster/all,

I check all the example using RPM and it look like the "next-hop" is mandatory. But on SRX5400 not support "next-hop", so any workaround of this?

rpm {

probe Failover-ISP1 {

test probe-failover {

probe-type icmp-ping;

target address 20.20.86.1;

probe-count 5;

probe-interval 1;

test-interval 5;

thresholds {

successive-loss 10;

total-loss 3;

}

destination-interface reth2.10;

##

##

next-hop 20.20.86.1;

}

}

Thanks and appreciate any feedback

• 6.  RE: SRX5400 not support RPM by source and destination? Any other alternative?
    Best Answer

Posted 08-13-2020 08:37

Hello Kronicklez,

The next-hop statement is optional; since you specified the destination-interface, the probes will exit through that interface. For more information, please check this KB article - https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB25052

So, please remove the next-hop statement and continue to implement the rest of the configuration. Also, I stumbled upon one of the old posts, maybe it might be helpful for you - https://forums.juniper.net/t5/Configuration-Library/SRX-Default-Route-Failover-RPM-Script/td-p/64023

• 7.  RE: SRX5400 not support RPM by source and destination? Any other alternative?

Posted 08-13-2020 09:12

Hi Noobmaster,

Thanks for  the URL. I'm reading the URL given but still not sure how to make it integrate with my setup FBF + Event-Option + ISP dual failover just using event-option due to SRX5400 not support "ip-monitoring". Most of the example is using RPM + IP-Monitoring + FBF.

https://rtodto.net/dual-isp-failover-with-rpm-ip-monitoring/

Thanks