SRX

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
Expand all | Collapse all

SRX240B2 fan behaviors

• 1.  SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 04:36
    I have several srx240's. Two are "B2" . I have an srx240b also. The model with junos 11.4xxx is a quiet model. The fans only turn on at boot. The other B2 has 12.1xxx and the fans always run. High at boot, and normal at normal operation. The srx240b is junos 10.x and the fans always run.

Is there anyway to change this behavior?

I would like to make any given box run
    silently.

Anyone have suggestions as I upgrade?

• 2.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 04:41
    Hi Eugene1973,

Unfortuntely, there is no way to change this behavior.
    On top of it these devices already EOL.

Regards,
    Guru Prasad

• 3.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 06:53
    Anyone know of newer silent models?

• 4.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 07:54

Hi eugene1973,

We have what we call "Enhancement requests" you can create with your account teams.

I am not sure if it covers parameters, like the fan being loud, but it's worth finding out from your account team.

The 240 though is an EOL product, so enhancements will no longer happen on this product.

In terms of other SRX models that are seemingly quiet, I would once again suggest that you reach out to your Sales/account teams, who can guide you with this purchase.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!

Pooja

• 5.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 07:59
    Pooja,

I like the fact that the fan in that one srx240b2 is off at normal operating mode.

That is a long life unit.

Wish someone knew of models of any srx that will do this. Srx300 and up.

• 6.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 08:06

Hi eugene1973,

Have you ventured into investigating this from a more, troubleshooting point of view?

Meaning, do you see any logs in chassisd or alarms indicating that the FANs are infact now at intermediate speeds or at higher speeds, etc ?

Also, 'show chassis temperature-thresholds' will show you the expected Fan behavior over a range of temperatures. And 'show chassis environment' will cover the present/current temperature situation on your chassis.

Perhaps finding out if the Fan is behaving as expected, would be a place to start?

Cheers

Pooja

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!

• 7.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 09:54
    I'm fairly certain that this one operates as it should. I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure it is supposed to. I get no warnings.

• 8.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 12:16

Hi,

The Fans are running based on the tempurature. What are the traffic load on two devices, more traffic load will definitely bring up CPU tempurature and activate the FANs. The two junos version you mentioned are end of life already. Not sure if you put the always running fan device under a cooler environment could stop it running. If HW are all the same and the version matters, you may downgrade it to the quiet version for testing purposes. But juniper does not recommend customers to downgrade the software.

For newer platforms, ususally the smaller model is quiet. So far the SRX300 series are the smaller branch platforms. I feel the SRX300 might be quiet in Fans from the device picture. 

• 9.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 13:12
    My srx240b2 with junos 11.4r7.5 will almost never use the fans in normal operation. I think even if it gets real hot. It only runs the fans if it's booting. I swear on this. It may run the fans when it gets REAL hot. I've never seen it run the fans at normal operation. It gets hundred degrees every year where I live.

The other SRX's just run the fans at low speed at normal operation.

The one with 114r7.5 never gets hot.

I swear.

• 10.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 13:32

I used to have a SRX240 runs on my desk, the fan will be noisy once it is activated. So I switched to a SRX210 (end of life too) afterwards, it is pretty quiet. From the output, i would say there should be no problems with the fans as they are running in a normal speed. 

One more thing i would remind you, the device has air filters, if it has been running for a long time, clean the air fitler/dust might help in reducing the fan spinning chance.

Thanks

Yisheng

• 11.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-29-2019 13:33
    I assumed that this is normal. Can anyone confirm this?

• 12.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 06-30-2019 06:07

yes, the fan speed is automatically driven by the temperature detected inside the SRX.  So it is normal so to speak.

• 13.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors
    Best Answer

Posted 06-30-2019 08:15
    Thx Steve. Thx everyone. I can now say the old srx is a good quiet model. I'm still gonna purchase newer ones.

Adrian Aguinaga
    B.S.C.M. I.T.T Tech.
    A.A.S. I.T.T. Tech.
    Engineering and drafting design.

• 14.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 07-01-2019 00:56
    After further review I hear the fans but there is no CFM. At one time I could swear it was completely silent. Hmmmmm.

• 15.  RE: SRX240B2 fan behaviors

Posted 07-01-2019 02:54

You don't need to configure anything for the fan behavior to work.  This is built in to protect the hardware from overheating.  When the internal temp gets too high the fans start.  If it gets really high the fans kick in faster/louder.  And it adjusts automatically with internal temp.