SRX

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  DNS client lookups not working

Posted 06-03-2020 06:18

I think I'm having one of those days!

I have Windows PCs. I've just changed some clients to use only their respective SRX for DNS lookups. However, the clients cannot resolve anything. As soon as I flick back to 8.8.8.8. for example they are fine. The SRX devices all have the following config (only) relating to DNS:

system {
        name-server {
            8.8.8.8;
            208.67.222.222;
            1.1.1.1;
        }
    }

What really obvious thing am I missing? Configuration of a client DNS service somewhere?

#dns

• 2.  RE: DNS client lookups not working

Posted 06-03-2020 07:02

Hello,

This configuration is for DNS lookups performed by SRX itself such as name resolution for domain names in the config, or when pinging/tracing.

If You want SRX to return DNS answers to Your clients, You need to enable DNS proxy

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB27492

HTH

Thx

Alex

• 3.  RE: DNS client lookups not working
    Best Answer

Posted 06-03-2020 07:09

Simple it was, as follows:-

# set system services dns dns-proxy interface ge-0/0/0.0
    # set system services dns dns-proxy default-domain * forwarders 8.8.8.8
    # set security zones security-zone Trust interfaces ge-0/0/0.0 host-inbound-traffic system-services dns