SRX

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  Slow route-based site-to-site VPN connection between SRX240 and SRX210

Posted 01-12-2010 11:39

Hi all,

I am experiencing slow file transfers between my main site that uses an SRX240 and my remote site that uses an SRX210. I am transfering large files from one storage server to another.

For example I am transfering large files between my storage servers roughly around 10 GB and I am assuming I am getting under 100k per second since it's been running for almost a day now

When I copy a 180MB file from my Windows 7 machine to the storage server I get 350K a second transfering a 180MB file.

VPN PROPOSALS

description g2-esp-aes128-sha;
    protocol esp;
    authentication-algorithm hmac-sha1-96;
    encryption-algorithm aes-128-cbc;
    lifetime-seconds 28800;

SPEED TEST RESULTS

My main office

download = 9MBps

upload = 7.31 MBps

Remote office

download = 4.32 MBps

upload = 1.6 MBps

SHOW SECURITY IPSEC SECURITY-ASSOCIATIONS

DF-bit: clear
        Direction: inbound, SPI: 8254c24e, AUX-SPI: 0
        Hard lifetime: Expires in 17760 seconds
        Lifesize Remaining:  Unlimited
        Soft lifetime: Expires in 17181 seconds
        Mode: tunnel, Type: dynamic, State: installed, VPN Monitoring: UP
        Protocol: ESP, Authentication: hmac-sha1-96, Encryption: aes-cbc (128 bits)
        Anti-replay service: enabled, Replay window size: 64

Direction: outbound, SPI: 47b73a4c, AUX-SPI: 0
        Hard lifetime: Expires in 17760 seconds
        Lifesize Remaining:  Unlimited
        Soft lifetime: Expires in 17181 seconds
        Mode: tunnel, Type: dynamic, State: installed, VPN Monitoring: UP
        Protocol: ESP, Authentication: hmac-sha1-96, Encryption: aes-cbc (128 bits)
        Anti-replay service: enabled, Replay window size: 64

I am not sure if this has something to do with my WAN connection speeds or how I setup my VPN's. Is there a way I can dedicate a certain amount of traffic specifically for the site-to-site VPN's and is there anything else I should use to troubleshoot this issue. Any help would be highly apprieciated.

Best Regards,

G

• 2.  RE: Slow route-based site-to-site VPN connection between SRX240 and SRX210

Posted 01-12-2010 12:02

Hi all, I set the security flow tcp-mss mss 1420 on both sites.

On my computer I am getting 512 Kbps transfers

But on another computer I am getting 33/Kbps transfers

• 3.  RE: Slow route-based site-to-site VPN connection between SRX240 and SRX210

Posted 01-12-2010 23:49

I have two SRX 240 connect via a T1 VPN and there are no issues.

Try to monitor the interface via the cli or jweb.

cli

> monitor interface (interface name) fe or ge

• 4.  RE: Slow route-based site-to-site VPN connection between SRX240 and SRX210

Posted 01-13-2010 09:06
      |   view attached

Hi Yipster thanks for your reponse, this is my results when I monitor my interface the speeds still seem slow 20kbps is there a way to set an specific ammount of bandwidth only for a vpn tunnel.

Thanks

• 5.  RE: Slow route-based site-to-site VPN connection between SRX240 and SRX210
    Best Answer

Posted 01-14-2010 10:01

Fixed the issue. MTU set on the tunnel interface is set to 9000 causing alot of fragmentation. FYI change to a lower value

#vpn
    #Tunnel
    #mtu

• 6.  RE: Slow route-based site-to-site VPN connection between SRX240 and SRX210

Posted 08-23-2010 04:29

HI,

Could you provide the command you did. I tried:

set security flow tcp-mss all-tcp mss 1420 and set security flow tcp-mss ipsec-vpn mss 1420

But when i monitor the st0.0, it still says that the MTU is at 9192

Thanks in advance,

• 7.  RE: Slow route-based site-to-site VPN connection between SRX240 and SRX210

Posted 01-19-2011 11:15

Hi,

I am having a similar issue with a route based tunnel between two srx210s. To adjust the tunnel interface enter the following;

set interfaces <interface name> unit 0 family inet mtu <mtu value>