SRX

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  about SSG-XXMseries

Posted 05-13-2009 19:18

Hi:

Does the SSG-xxM series run the Junos as SRX new models?

Does Juniper Networks will discontinue the SSG-xxM models in near future?

What SRX model will replace the SSG-350M model?

Thanks your help

att

Victor

• 2.  RE: about SSG-XXMseries
    Best Answer

Posted 05-14-2009 03:01

Hi,

I'm not a Juniper employee bu I've seen some statements.  So Í'll try to answer your questions anyway.

Does the SSG-xxM series run the Junos as SRX new models?  You can run Junos 9.5 on both so yes

Does Juniper Networks will discontinue the SSG-xxM models in near future? No, they'll support it for years comming.

What SRX model will replace the SSG-350M model?  Hard to say. Look at the specs relevant for your situation (Interface requirements, throughput, number og new sessions etc) and look at the specs of the SRX's. On throughput I'd say a 240, but on other reasons maybe a 650.

• 3.  RE: about SSG-XXMseries

Posted 05-14-2009 21:31

Just to add to this, SSG 320/350 hardware is same as J2320/J2350. Likewise, SSG 520M/550M is same as J4350/J6350. In fact we offer conversion kits to convert SSG to J-Series and vice versa. All of the aforementioned J-Series will run JUNOS 9.5 which is essentially same software as used on SRX Branch. I would check with your Juniper sales rep to learn of the SRX Branch roadmap to learn which product fits the current SSG offerings. But SSG line won't go away anytime soon depending on whether you want ScreenOS or JUNOS.

-Richard

• 4.  RE: about SSG-XXMseries

Posted 05-15-2009 00:29

And just to add a bit more to this..

Screenos has a number of certifications ( FIPS, EAL4+ etc etc ). Junos has't made it that far yet, and certainly not on teh SRX platform. So for many customers ( fedral government defence etc ) that will be an issue..    While i can see Junipers desire for the 1-1-1 story, it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

I'm just in the process of migrating a number of clients from Screenos to Junos and so far hav'nt had any major problems

• 5.  RE: about SSG-XXMseries

Posted 06-11-2009 20:34

If someone wants to replace their SSG with an SRX is there a way to migrate a configuration on a SSG to a new SRX? Or would they need to setup the new SRX from scratch?

In other words is there a way to migrate a ScreenOS config to a JUNOS config?

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: about SSG-XXMseries

Posted 06-11-2009 22:01

Check out the SSG/J-Series Migration guide.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-jseries/junos-jseries95/index.html

In the Migration Guide, there is a link for Juniper migration tool which can help to convert ScreenOS configs to applicable JUNOS configuration. It's not perfect, but it can save alot of time versus redoing everything from scratch.

-Richard

• 7.  RE: about SSG-XXMseries

Posted 11-29-2011 20:48

Hi all,

Here's some quicklinks to share on the configuration conversion:

Migration Documentation

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-jseries/junos-jseries95/index.html

Overview of tools:

http://www.juniper.net/customers/support/#task

ScreenOS to JunosTranslator (need Juniper Support Account)

https://i2j.juniper.net/s2j/index.jsp

Hope it helps 🙂

#tools
    #conversion
    #config

• 8.  RE: about SSG-XXMseries

Posted 11-30-2011 05:19

@Jerbear wrote:

If someone wants to replace their SSG with an SRX

Why would anyone want to replace a full featured, mature, stable and proven firewall platform with an unstable, bug ridden, complicated and incomplete platform?

SCNR.

• 9.  RE: about SSG-XXMseries

Posted 11-30-2011 14:16
    +1 to cryptochrome. It is very sad that the SRX is still no where near as good as the old SSGs were. I have no idea why it takes Juniper so long to fix it! I've been using the SRX from JunOS 9.5 and the improvements to each new version are just glacial. 

The SSGs were stable, did full IPv6 and the web interface was usable. None of this can be said about the SRX.

I still cannot believe Juniper replaced the SSG with the SRX and just stopped releasing major updates for the SSG, like where is ScreenOS 6.4?

A small SSG5 with Gigabit would have sold very well...

• 10.  RE: about SSG-XXMseries

Posted 01-10-2012 04:48
    ... and only if... ScreenOS 7.0.0 lols 🙂