SD-WAN

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with SD-WAN and Session Smart Router (formerly 128T).
  • 1.  BFD Setting Hierarchy

Posted 08-03-2018 00:00
    I noticed that I can set BFD settings at the adjacency, the peer, and the router. If I were to set in all 3 locations, which ones get preference?

• 2.  RE: BFD Setting Hierarchy

Perfect! Thank you Gene Shtirmer !

• 3.  RE: BFD Setting Hierarchy

Thank you for your inquiry! Here is a response from Patrick A Timmons to a similar question I asked recently:

1. The BFD settings at the ROUTER level only apply to inter-node BFD (i.e., BFD between peers in an HA setup).
    2. The BFD settings at the PEER level apply to connections to that peer. You can obviously change the defaults for autogenerated peers if you wish, but this will require setting generated->false, which will prevent your changes from being overwritten.
    3. The BFD settings at the NEIGHBORHOOD level can override those of a peer, as applicable. These settings are copied to any auto-generated adjacencies that are created as a result of router interfaces sharing a common neighborhood.
    4. The BFD settings in the ADJACENCY are ultimately what govern the BFD behavior on a ""peer path"" to that peer. These are copied from the NEIGHBORHOOD, but may (also) be overwritten by setting generated->false and tuning them to your heart's content.

Note that when you override BFD (e.g., you set BFD properties on an adjacency that has a peer with non-default BFD settings), you override ALL SETTINGS when you create the BFD configuration. That is, if you set link-test-interval to a non-default value at the PEER level, but leave that unconfigured on the ADJACENCY, you will NOT ""inherit"" that value from the peer configuration. The 128T will create a new BFD container with default values.

I hope this helps.