SD-WAN

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with SD-WAN and Session Smart Router (formerly 128T).
Expand all | Collapse all

When a packet arrives at my 128T, how does my 128T know which tenant it belongs to?

• 1.  When a packet arrives at my 128T, how does my 128T know which tenant it belongs to?

Posted 07-31-2018 00:00

• 2.  RE: When a packet arrives at my 128T, how does my 128T know which tenant it belongs to?

The 128T looks at the network-interface that the traffic arrives on. There are two options on the network interface to configure tenancy. The simplest way is to configure the 'tenant' option on the network-interface with the name of a valid tenant in the configuration. In this case, all traffic coming into that network-interface will be associated with that tenant.

The second option allows you to configure one or more tenants on an ingress interface based on the source IP prefix. This is done through the use of neighborhoods and membership in the tenant configuration. For example, if you wanted to assign traffic from source range 192.168.1.0/24 to tenant1 and traffic from source range 192.168.2.0/24 to tenant2, you could configure a neighborhood on the ingress interface like 'lanNeighborhood' and then configure your tenants as follows:

tenant tenant1 name tenant1 member lanNeighborhood neighborhood lanNeighborhood address 192.168.1.0/24 exit exit tenant tenant2 name tenant2 member lanNeighborhood neighborhood lanNeighborhood address 192.168.2.0/24 exit exit

If you apply a tenant to the network-interface, it will take precedence over the membership and all traffic will be associated with the tenant applied to the interface.
    There is one exception to that rule: if your tenants are hierarchical, you can apply the parent tenant (for example 'lan') on the network-interface and still be able to assign traffic to sub-tenants (say 'marketing.lan') via the membership method shown above.

• 3.  RE: When a packet arrives at my 128T, how does my 128T know which tenant it belongs to?

Thank you Lane Shields !

• 4.  RE: When a packet arrives at my 128T, how does my 128T know which tenant it belongs to?

To be totally thorough in this response, we should also mention a third way packets are associated with a tenant. Namely, when a 1st packet of a session arrives at a 128T router from another 128T peer, the receiving router will associate that 1st packet with a tenant based on the contents of meta-data included in that 1st packet. All subsequent packets in that session will also be associated with this tenant.