Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  QFX3500 - Virtual Chassis unsupported?

Posted 05-31-2022 09:53

Hi everyone,

First time poster here.

I recently purchased two refurbished QFX3500s with the purpose of implementing HA switching.

After I configured my primary switch with the below commands, I noticed that when I `show config` it says the virtual-chassis code block is not supported.

```

##

## Warning: configuration block ignored: unsupported platform (qfx3500s)
    ##
    virtual-chassis {
        preprovisioned;
        no-split-detection;                
        member 0 {
            mastership-priority 255;
            role routing-engine;
            serial-number XXXXX;
        }
        member 1 {
            mastership-priority 255;
            role routing-engine;
            serial-number XXXXX;
        }

}

```

From everything I've seen, two QFX3500s are a supported virtual-chassis configuration Understanding QFX Series Virtual Chassis

I couldn't see any licencing requirements for the QFX3500 for basic virtual-chassis configuration Licenses for QFX Series

Both swtiches are configured as standalone switches, in accordance with Configuring a QFX3500 Device as a Standalone Switch

Any suggesstions or ideas as to why my primary switch says the block is not confiured are welcome.

The secondary/alternate switch just has the standalone configuration applied to it, not VC configuration.

------------------------------
    ALEXANDER HUSSEY

• 2.  RE: QFX3500 - Virtual Chassis unsupported?

Posted 06-04-2022 10:19
    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/virtual-chassis-qfx/topics/task/virtual-chassis-qfx-series-cli.html

"For QFX3500 or QFX3600 switches in a Virtual Chassis, you must download the Junos OS image that supports Virtual Chassis-an image that includes "jinstall-qfx-3-" in the filename when the Junos OS image is downloaded from the Software Center. QFX3500 and QFX3600 switches that are node devices in a QFabric system cannot be part of a Virtual Chassis."

• 3.  RE: QFX3500 - Virtual Chassis unsupported?

Posted 06-04-2022 20:24

Hi smicker,

I honestly don't know how I missed that one line in the documentation, but that seems to be the issue.
    If the image didn't support VC, should the commit check still pass?

|'m downloading a much newer OS version now and it has that prefix, so will test shortly.

Kind regards,
    Alex​

ALEXANDER HUSSEY