Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  ex4400 peculiarities, specifically lcmd and NGRE

Posted 07-14-2023 15:53

Hello all,

I'm not finding much detail about the newer ex4400s. I was looking because I just put a virtual chassis into production in a pilot location. Then I looked at our log collections and found the vast majority of logs were from Linux Chassis Manager, lcmd, which seems to be related to Next Generation Routing Engine (NGRE). I can imagine that the newer switch JunOS could run as a VM, hence lcmd logs, but I'm not finding any documentation of such a thing.

Any other experiences?

Best regards,

------------------------------
    Michael

• 2.  RE: ex4400 peculiarities, specifically lcmd and NGRE

Posted 07-14-2023 16:09

Generally, we only have VMs for chassis internally for testing where the data plane also has a virtual emulation - the products that use Broadcom silicon don't have SW emulation, so the only thing we'd be able to run virtually would be the control plane ...

Art Stine

• 3.  RE: ex4400 peculiarities, specifically lcmd and NGRE

Posted 07-14-2023 16:24

Sorry I wasn't more clear. When I said virtual chassis, I meant the combination of multiple physical ex4400 member switches into one logical device managed as a single chassis.
    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/virtual-chassis-qfx/topics/concept/virtual-chassis-ex4200-overview.html

Michael