Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4400-24x Virtual Chassis config when managed by Mist AI

Posted 12-06-2023 20:12

Hello,

I have tried to find a complete answer to this. Most of the documentation relates to the CLI. I am attempting to bring up my EX4400-24x's (2) in a Virtual Chassis. Reading the information about this particular model, it appears that I need to issue this command:
    request virtual-chassis mode hgoe reboot

request virtual-chassis vc-port set pic-slot 1 port 0
    request virtual-chassis vc-port set pic-slot 1 port 1

However, the CLI/shell states that the Mist AI will overwrite anything that I put in the shell. Also, I want this to extend to more than just the switches I initially setup (replace due to an RMA, etc.) so I want the configuration to be in the GUI. So, if I add it to the additional CLI area of the rule for my switch, would I do something like this?

issue the first command minus the reboot part. I would assume adding reboot to the addditonal CLI area would put it in an infinite loop. Then I would reboot the switches. After that, I would then add the other lines.

This seems, ideally, like what I would like to place in the additional CLI area:

request virtual-chassis mode hgoe

request virtual-chassis vc-port set pic-slot 1 port 0 all-members
    request virtual-chassis vc-port set pic-slot 1 port 1 all-members
    set virtual-chassis member 0 mastership-priority 255
    set virtual-chassis member 1 mastership-priority 255
    set virtual-chassis member 2 mastership-priority 128

can the all-members part be added? it doesn't specify in the instructions for the EX4400-24x, but the information on mode settings for EX series switches says you can.

Regards,

------------------------------
    SEAN HASLING

• 2.  RE: EX4400-24x Virtual Chassis config when managed by Mist AI
    Best Answer

Posted 12-07-2023 06:17

Hi,

• request commands are not configuration commands. This can't be seen in the show configuration output. Mist will not override the effect of these request commands performed from CLI/shell.
    • Adding these commands on the additional CLI area would not be of any effect, as these are not config commands.
    • The request virtual-chassis commands will have to be performed manually from CLI, as required for the EX4400-24X switch.
    • The set virtual-chassis commands to pre-provision the VC are not needed as additional CLI, as the required state can be achieved by using the "Modify Virtual Chassis" option on the switch details page on Mist. Onboard the VC on Mist as non-provisioned VC and then use the modify virtual chassis option to pre-provision the VC from Mist UI.

Regards

Sheetanshu Shekhar

• 3.  RE: EX4400-24x Virtual Chassis config when managed by Mist AI

Posted 01-19-2024 10:52

Thank you very much for your answer. Your first statement clarified everything for me. I am sorry I did not respond sooner. 

I was able to do the first line via CLI, reboot and then create the VC. I then went into the VC configuration GUI and made sure that everything was set correctly, and to make sure that it stayed that way, I clicked on the pre-provision button. It was extremely simple after learning that. I still have a lot to figure out as far as how easy replacing a failed switch is and how to flip-flop what is the master and what is the backup, but I have it setup and running and it is working perfectly.

Regards,,

SHHTEA