Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4200 virtual chassis troubleshoot

Posted 01-29-2024 08:36

Hello,

I try to do virtual chassis of 3 switches of - EX4200 . (version - 12.12R.4)

I configured the first one as a member 0 mastership-priority 255 for being the master for all the switches.

After that i connected the vcp ports via the cable i got for the vc connection.

After all the switches coming up i see the vc up in the show commands:

show virtual-chassis - I see the all the switches as members and one of them is master, one backup and the last is in linecard mode(if someone can explain me the lincard more i will be more than happey because i didnt understand).

show virtual-chassis vc-ports - I see all the VC's ports in up.

Untill now everything looks good but when i do the show command : show interfaces terse i don't see the ports at all.

Did someone notice that problem?

------------------------------
    dor kashtan

• 2.  RE: EX4200 virtual chassis troubleshoot

Posted 01-30-2024 03:25

Hi Dor,

Backup Routing Engine Role

The member that functions in the backup Routing Engine role in a Virtual Chassis:

• Maintains a state of readiness to take over the primary Routing Engine role if the primary fails.

• Runs Junos OS for the switches as a backup Routing Engine.

• Synchronizes with the primary in terms of protocol states, forwarding tables, and other information, so that it is prepared to preserve routing information and maintain network connectivity without disruption in case the primary is unavailable.

Linecard Role

A member that functions in the linecard role in a Virtual Chassis:

• Runs only a subset of Junos OS.

• Does not run the chassis control protocols.

• Can detect certain error conditions (such as an unplugged cable) on any interfaces that have been configured on it through the primary.

What ports are you not seeing in show interface terse? if you mean the VC ports you will only see the VC ports for the master switch noted as VCP-X.

HARRY

• 3.  RE: EX4200 virtual chassis troubleshoot

Posted 01-31-2024 11:28

Hi,

Thank you for the explanation!

After the three switches are already in VC mode I do a show command: show interfaces terse .

The output of this command should represent me all the ports of all switches (ge-0/0/0-23, ge-1/0/0-23, ge-2/0/0-23).

I configured them too and see all the configuration about them in the "show |dispaly set" .

The problem is that even if I connect something to each one of them I don't see any reaction in the interface terse and don't see them there…

dor kashtan