Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4100 + Junos 23.x

Posted 08-30-2023 12:04

Hello,

I have a pair of EX4100's set up as a VC.  They had arrived earlier then we expected, so I set them up a couple months ago and updated Junos to the latest version at the time. 

I just recently noticed the suggested release kb (KB21476), where the suggested version for the EX4100 is 22.3R2.  The switches haven't been put into production yet (but are ready to go at this point), and are running 23.2R1.  Is this going to be a problem, and should I consider downgrading to the suggested release (and not 22.3R3)?  Or should it be fine on the 23 release?  They are configured basically to pass traffic between our firewalls and an EX4550 (to be replaced with an EX4650), and for server management ports.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    -Terry

• 2.  RE: EX4100 + Junos 23.x

Posted 08-31-2023 05:33

Personally I would downgrade the recommend release which is currently 22.3R2-S1 as it usually has less bugs and more stable than the newer releases. However if you have tested it on the current version and are happy that everything is working as expected then you could stay on the version you are on.

Hope this is helpful.

HARRY

• 3.  RE: EX4100 + Junos 23.x

Posted 08-31-2023 09:10

One should usually (not always):

• avoid R1 releases. Radioactive stuff ☢️
    • avoid xx.1Rz and xx.3Rz releases. Prefer xx.2 and xx.4: longer term support for such versions (while this is about to change a bit with 23.*).

But in your case, for EX4100, the problem is that is is a very recent gear, supported only by very recent JunOS releases.  Actually, the freshly released 22.4R2-S1 is a .4 release, an R2 release, an S1 release... In this case I think I would talk about this release with my Juniper representative :)

Olivier Benghozi

• 4.  RE: EX4100 + Junos 23.x

Posted 08-31-2023 14:49

Thanks for the answers!  So many options!

I may first try to downgrade to the current suggested release, then contact Juniper and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks!

-Terry

• 5.  RE: EX4100 + Junos 23.x

Posted 09-01-2023 09:06

I successfully downgraded to 22.3R2-S1, and support confirmed everything looks good.  They suggested unless I need any specific features to stick with the suggested release.  I guess I'll just stick with that for now (even though it was mentioned .4 may be preferred).  I'll try reaching out to my tech and see what they have to say.

Thanks again!

-Terry