Switching

View Only
last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX 4200 SFP Module

Posted 10-23-2023 12:05

Hello,

I am fairly new to the Juniper world.  I have an EX4200 on 12.3r12-S21.  I have an EX-UM-2x4SFP (711-026917) with the 2 10G ports and 2 1G ports.  I am trying to find a transceiver that will work in the 1G ports.  I have tried a few generics and now an EX-SFP-1GE-SX (740-011613).  I am getting no light from the transceivers.  I have tried swapping for a different EX-UM-2x4SFP (711-026917) module and still no light.  Then I run a: show chassis hardware and get:

Xcvr 1     REV02     NON-SFP+     NWB1N9J    SFP-SX

I assume this means I HAVE to have an SFP+ module?   I have looked for an SFP+ module that does 1G and for the life of me, I can't find it.  

Can someone please help me out?

Thank you,
    Dan

------------------------------
    DANIEL MCGURK

• 2.  RE: EX 4200 SFP Module
    Best Answer

Posted 10-23-2023 14:45

There is a mode switch to let the module know you have 1G installed for use.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/interfaces-ethernet-switches/topics/topic-map/switches-interface-physical.html#uplink-module-ex3200-ex4200-sfp-plus-mode-setting-cli

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP - Retired)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: EX 4200 SFP Module

Posted 10-23-2023 17:56

That helped!  I have link lights now but no traffic.  Traffic was able to flow when I had the 10G link up.  Does moving those down to 1G change the name of the ports?  This is what I have in my config (and it worked with 10G modules in xe-0/1/0 and xe-0/1/2)

interface-range UPLINKS {
            member xe-0/1/0;
            member xe-0/1/2;
            member xe-0/1/1;
            member xe-0/1/3;
            description "Fiber Uplinks";
            unit 0 {
                family ethernet-switching {
                    port-mode trunk;
                    vlan {
                        members [ DATA MGMT VOICE VIDEO WIFIguest WIFIinternal WIFIvoice ];

DANIEL MCGURK

• 4.  RE: EX 4200 SFP Module

Posted 10-23-2023 17:56

I think my posts still have to be approved so this will come after I had asked a follow-up question.  I figured it out and now it all makes sense.  Those are gig ports now so they become ge-0/1/x ports.  Everything is working as it should and I can't even begin to thank you enough!!

DANIEL MCGURK

• 5.  RE: EX 4200 SFP Module

Posted 10-31-2023 08:34

Hi Daniel,

Try setting  the interface as ge instead of xe

and use

show interface interface-number (like ge-0/1/0) extensive

"run show interfaces diagnostics optics interface-number (like ge-0/1/0)" command to see for any errors.

SAIRAJ POTTIPOCHALA