Switching

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX 4200 Routing instances

Posted 09-03-2009 08:39

Hi,

Can someone offer a description of VRF's and Virtual-Routers and their differences on juniper 3200/4200 switches.

I am looking at using multiple VLANS each with their own routing table and would like to know which is the prefered method for this.

Harry

• 2.  RE: EX 4200 Routing instances

Posted 09-03-2009 08:49
    Hi,

Virtual router and VRF is the same on EX series. EX series does not support logical routers. You should use VRFs to accomplish your task. I can send you an example if you need one.

Regards
    Michael Pergament

• 3.  RE: EX 4200 Routing instances

Posted 09-03-2009 09:07

Thanks for the reply.

An example would be great.

The reason i am curious is that when i try to create a routing-instance the CLI gives me instance-type options of a "vrf" or a "virtual-router". Being more familiar with Cisco models and vrf-lite, i would have guessed to create a vrf. however, a virtual-router sounds also like it would do what i need which is simply to have a number of VLANS with different routing tables

i look forward to your info.

harry

Message Edited by harrydanger on 09-03-2009 09:09 AM

• 4.  RE: EX 4200 Routing instances
    Best Answer

Posted 09-03-2009 09:29
      |   view attached

Hi Harry,

please see attachment. This config shows VRF usage with different routing protocols and different interface types (family inet and vlan.xxx). I can also give you an example how to exchange routes (non-overlapping) between e.g. two VRFs (in case you need it).

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament

Attachment(s)

txt
    ACE01-01.txt   11 KB 1 version