Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Connecting a ex3200 to an existing cisco network STP problem

Posted 11-01-2010 07:53
      |   view attached

Firsly I wat to say  that I am completely new to Juniper switching. I have a ex3200 that I am replacing an existing cisco switch with. I ran the config from the old switch through the IOS to JUNOS translator and made some slight modifications to the output. On connecting my ge-0/0/0 port to uplinlk to a cisco switch, about 3 minutes later I had systems on the network failing that I can only deduce was STP doing its thing.... ive never actually seen it happen but I'm pretty sure thats what it was. I unplugged the uplink port and all returned to normal.

Is there anything I need to do in order to get these devices talking nicely that I might be missing? Like I said I'm kind of a newb with these and have done what I can with resources i've found on the web and forr all I know theres something wrong with my config. Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Connecting a ex3200 to an existing cisco network STP problem
    Best Answer

Posted 11-01-2010 10:54

Hello,

Looking at your config, you have defined 4 VLANs but enabled VSTP only on VLAN 1. This means that VLANs other than 1 are likely to have L2 loops unless your physical topology is loop-free.

Running proxy-arp is generally not a good idea  - the switch will be snooping on every ARP request.

I'd recommend JUNOS Enterprise Switching book as good resource:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=PWVJUuLvw3oC&lpg=PP1&ots=dMizIKbDRU&dq=junos%20enterprise%20switching&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'd also recommend upgrading JUNOS to 10.2R2 or better wait for 10.2R3 to be released soon.

HTH

Regards

Alex

• 3.  RE: Connecting a ex3200 to an existing cisco network STP problem

Posted 11-01-2010 12:12

Thats good advice, I'll disable the proxy-arp and create the other additional vlan interfaces and see what happens.

Many Thanks!

And i'll check out that book as well!