Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Measuring interface throughput limit?

Posted 05-08-2020 05:14

We've installed new QFX hardware that connects two remote sites (one per site) with 2 x 100G interfaces on each device.  Thus 200G in total.

Is there a Junos technique to do:

• Push as much own-generated traffic through Device A to Device B
    • Measure what the reached limit was

I wish to know if all our hardware are configured optimally and that we can get as close as possible to 2 x 100G throughput as expected.  Perhaps the test can be done one interface at a time also.

Any ideas?

Thank you 

• 2.  RE: Measuring interface throughput limit?
    Best Answer

Posted 05-08-2020 05:30

Hello elboertjie,

> Push as much own-generated traffic through Device A to Device B

If you want to test if the device is capable of 100 Gbps transit traffic, you can connect traffic generator hardware (like IXIA or EXFO) with 100G transceivers on both sides and start the traffic generator test. These devices are designed for such throughput tests.

Alternatively you can connect any host (or multiple hosts) to the QFX devices in combination with iPerf or other performance measuring tools.

#throughput
    #traffic

• 3.  RE: Measuring interface throughput limit?

Posted 05-08-2020 05:57

Thanks for the tips.

I wish to reduce the amount of extra variables in this. My current understanding tells me that if I connect another computer to the QFX, that the extra data would be generated through that computer and its own interface, which might add to the bottleneck.

I wish to test from QFX A, over 100G line, into QFX B and see if there is a bottleneck at all.  It sounds like the only real solution is the one that you made: add those hardware deices directly to the QFX on both sites and let them send data to each other.  This seems to be a costly option that I would have to investigate.

I would have thought that Junos by now have some commands that will simply push as much packets as it can over an interface and take some statistics from that.  It seems that Juniper does not natively support such rudementary tests.

• 4.  RE: Measuring interface throughput limit?

Posted 05-08-2020 06:02

Please note that it is not possible to create such a high amount of traffic from the local RE. Additionally, there is a huge difference between RE generated traffic (Routing Engine handled) and throughput traffic (ASIC handled).

To check the throughput traffic, you have to connect additional devices to the QFX on both sides, there is no other way to achieve this.