SD-WAN

View Only
last person joined: 12 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with SD-WAN and Session Smart Router (formerly 128T).
  • 1.  Can you create a service that just specifies a specific route?

Posted 09-07-2018 00:00
    Say you have a server at your data Center(DC1) that users at a remote site(RS1) work with heavily, nothing bandwidth intensive, but the lower the latency to it, the better. We have 2 ISPs at each site, ISP1 at each site is a high bandwidth connection that most traffic will take. ISP2 at each site is a lower bandwidth connection, but very very low latency between sites. Can I configure a service that will force sessions, from RS1 to that specific server at DC1, to use ISP2 at both sites as the preferred path? And how would I accomplish that? Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Can you create a service that just specifies a specific route?

Austin Stoffel , thanks for your inquiry. You can definitely accomplish this with vectors and neighborhoods. On the two respective interfaces connecting to your ISPs, if1 and if2 at RS1, and at DC1, provision neighborhoods.

Call these neighborhoods for example ISP1, and ISP2.

DC1 will have a setting of ""hub"", and RS1 will have a setting of ""spoke"" in the neighborhoods.

Add vectors to the neighborhoods.

Neighborhood ISP1 gets vector ""ISP1-vector"".

Neighborhood ISP2 gets vector ""ISP2-vector"".

When you create these neighborhoods, interfaces at both sites in the same neighborhood will peer up using SVR.

Next create a service policy, where you can order the vectors! Put ""ISP2-vector"" at the top of the ordered list, and ""IPS1-vector"" at the bottom.

Assign this service policy to the service that points to your server.

That's it.

We will automatically assign ISP2 path cost 1, and ISP1 path cost 10.

Please let me know if you want config snippets to make this clearer.

• 3.  RE: Can you create a service that just specifies a specific route?

Thanks Gene. We have not started implementing vectors yet, would setting up a scenario like this in production cause any issues with our current configuration?

• 4.  RE: Can you create a service that just specifies a specific route?

Austin, you can create more than one neighborhood on an interface, and add one just for purposes of assigning vectors, so as not to conflict with priorities already set in your config. I would say work with your account team to plan out and test the needed additions.

BTW, when you create a vector in a neighborhood of a particular interface, that interface also inherits the vector, not just an SVR path that may be emanating from it. So if you have multiple hop-off routes from several egress interfaces, their vectors can influence prioritization of your egress interfaces as well.