SD-WAN

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with SD-WAN and Session Smart Router (formerly 128T).
  • 1.  What is the difference between "Enable Packet Classification" and "Rewrite DSCP"?

Posted 02-16-2018 00:00
    In the network interface setting in the 3.1.11 GUI I see a toggle for "Enable Packet Classification" and "Rewrite DSCP". In the documentation these sound like they do similar things. What is the difference between them?

#3.1.11 #PacketClassification​​

• 2.  RE: What is the difference between "Enable Packet Classification" and "Rewrite DSCP"?

Posted 02-16-2018 00:00

Hey Greg, "Rewrite DSCP" actually replaces "Enable Packet Classification", which will be deprecated soon.

Check out the "Version History" section at the bottom of the network-interface object in the 128T Configuration Reference Guide 3.1, as it mentions this.

Classification should occur automatically, per the configured service-classes, session-types, and service-policies. "Rewrite DSCP" determines whether or not the router is going to re-mark the packets arriving at the interface, based on what gets determined in the service-class.

Hope this helps!

#configuration #ConfigurationReferenceGuide #3.1.0

​​​​​

• 3.  RE: What is the difference between "Enable Packet Classification" and "Rewrite DSCP"?

Posted 03-21-2019 12:27
    @Reid, so do we re-write DSCP on ingress or on egress?  From your explanation here it appears we rewrite on ingress.  Also, the re-write value is specified in the service-class.  Is there any other way to  configure a new DSCP value other then in the service-class?  

The reason I am asking is that if prioritization mode on the Network-Interface is set to "DSCP" and not "local", it seems we never really reference  service-class in any of the steps that go into prioritization process, do we?  I am just looking at your info-graphic here: Prioritization and TE Info-Graphic.

#DSCP #TrafficEngineering

------------------------------
    Gene Shtirmer
    Sales Engineer
    Randolph NJ
    (973) 610-5676
    ------------------------------