Switching

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  JunOS version for QFX5100

Posted 04-21-2020 04:58

Hi,

I want to upgrade JunOS on some of the QFX5100 that are in production. I found that the JTAC recommended version for this model is 18.1R3-S9 / 18.4R2-S3. I have selected 18.4R2-S3 to be installed on my devices. However, this version has more variants available to download, i.e.

Limited - QFX 5 Series Switch with Enhanced Automation
    Limited - QFX 5e Series Switch
    QFX 5 Series Switch
    QFX 5 Series Switch with Enhanced Automation
    QFX 5e Series Switch
    QFX 5e Series Switch with Enhanced Automation

I am not interested in the Limited and versions without Enhanced Automation. However, can someone tell me what are the major differences between "QFX 5 Series Switch with Enhanced Automation" and "QFX 5e Series Switch with Enhanced Automation". The difference between file size for these two versions is also quite significant. Also, kindly share if there is any related Juniper doc/KB.

Thanks

#JUNOS
    #QFX5100
    #QFX5series.

• 2.  RE: JunOS version for QFX5100

Posted 04-21-2020 05:11

Hi

The image 5e is required in a mixed VC of qfx5100 and qfx5110.

Here is the KB article which explains the need of 5e image in case of a mix Virtual Chassis

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB32473&actp=RSS

Hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: JunOS version for QFX5100
    Best Answer

Posted 04-21-2020 12:06

Hey vakas10,

I think that the difference is that Veriexec is disabled on one bundle ( the  tgz   (597.16MB) 
    Checksums) , which enables you to run unsigned programs, such as programs that you develop with Python, Chef, and Puppet. The Junos Automation Enhancements include the following features:

-The factory default configuration is a Layer 3 configuration. (The standard default factory configuration on some device series is Layer 2.)
    -Safeguards ensure that you cannot overwrite essential Junos OS files, including system log notifications.
    -The installation automatically sets up and reserves a 1 GB user partition on your system. You can use this partition to store your binaries and additional packages.
    -The user partition is not overwritten when you upgrade or downgrade the software to a OS image that does not contain the automation enhancements.

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too \:)/

Regards,

Lil Dexx
    JNCIE-ENT#863, 3X JNCIP-[SP-ENT-DC], 4X JNCIA [cloud-DevOps-Junos-Design], Champions Ingenius, SSYB

• 4.  RE: JunOS version for QFX5100

Posted 04-22-2020 01:58

Thank you for the reply. I have just one related question:

How can I downgrade from package "QFX 5e Series Switch with Enhanced Automation" to "QFX 5 Series Switch with Enhanced Automation". Currently I am getting the following error.

root@****> ...8.4R2-S3-signed.tgz force unlink
    Checking pending install on fpc1
    Checking pending install on fpc2

Checking pending install on localre
    Pushing bundle /var/tmp/jinstall-host-qfx-5-flex-18.4R2-S3-signed.tgz to fpc1
    Pushing bundle /var/tmp/jinstall-host-qfx-5-flex-18.4R2-S3-signed.tgz to fpc2

fpc1:
    THIS IS A SIGNED PACKAGE
    ERROR: /usr/libexec/ui/downgrade: a legacy Junos installation package is required...

Thanks!

• 5.  RE: JunOS version for QFX5100

Posted 04-22-2020 02:25

Hi

I dont think you can directly go from 5e image to 5 image on the VC.

In most cases you may have to break the VC and then individually install the junos on them with 5 image and then form the VC. 

Below is the link to do the same

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/installation/junos-software-reinstallation-preparing-qfx5100.html