Wireless

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

Questions on wireless range extension with an MPIM on SRX.

• 1.  Questions on wireless range extension with an MPIM on SRX.

Posted 07-26-2021 08:19

I'm wondering if anyone had any luck using a generic range extender with an SRX wireless MPIM. Long story short, I'm in a situation where I have the SRX close to the ISP demarcation point but when I go across the floor, I'm consistently picking up around a -77 dB signal strength and dropped signal.  

When I connect my Nighthawk extender to the network, it picks up the SSID and works for about an hour, and then drops all but IPv6 traffic. I cannot access anything over IPv4 -- not even the SRX router via ping. I followed the instructions on setting up the extender,  but I am wondering if there are certain config commands that I might need to run on my SRX to accept everything. I get the feeling that something somewhere is missing, but I'm not 100% sure what that is.  

Alternatively, is this a use case for perhaps looking instead at investing in a Juniper AP? And if so, would the AP be able to tie into the existing SRX MPIM infrastructure, or would I need to replace the MPIM with Mist and run? 

Though I touched on this in the SRX forum post from a couple of days ago, I did a little more experimenting and continued to run into blocks. I thought I'd reach out here as this is an issue I'm really trying to solve rather quickly and I seem to be stumped. Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    JON RZEZNIK
    ------------------------------