Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  SRX320 - "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT"

Posted 03-23-2018 14:21

All,

I recently upgraded my SRX320 to Junos15.1X49-D130 from 15.1X49-D70 .. I then factory reset the device using the pinhole (previous config was not working and wanted to start from scratch). Now the device displays a message "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT" even though it hands out the IP address (192.168.1.1 GW)

I can also pick "Skip to J-Web" which takes me to "Juniper Web Device Management" but none of the passwords I've used with username 'root' work (nor does blank).

Any ideas on how to get back into this device would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

• 2.  RE: SRX320 - "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT"

Posted 03-23-2018 23:50
    Hi Ron, Starting D100, Zero Touch Provisioning feature has been enabled by default. This is a part of the Contrail SD-WAN, where the device will reach out to the controller (Contrail Service Orchestrator) to get its configuration and the right image to be used. When you 'Skip to J-Web', does it not ask to 'enter a password to be configured'? Does it directly take you to the login screen? Thanks Rahul R

• 3.  RE: SRX320 - "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT"

Posted 03-26-2018 06:38

Thanks for the reply Rahul! Initially it does ask for a password to be configured. I enter a password .. then wait on the screen "Skipping to JWEB .. Please refresh the page after some time". It eventually goes to a login screen where I enter the username 'root' and the password I created previously & access is denied. ;\ Is the admin username different than 'root' now?

• 4.  RE: SRX320 - "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT"

Posted 03-24-2018 04:13

After a full reset I would use the console port with the user root and no password to access the device.

Once in here you can set the root password and get in by other methods.

set system root-authentication plain-text-password

• 5.  RE: SRX320 - "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT"

Posted 03-26-2018 06:42

Steve,

I SSH into the device using putty after a reset. Username 'root' & no password "access denied".

Any other ideas?

• 6.  RE: SRX320 - "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT"

Posted 03-26-2018 12:44

Update to this .. I eventually got into the device. My password had a $ symbol in it ... after changing to strictly alpha numeric password it worked ... *face meet palm* 8-) .

• 7.  RE: SRX320 - "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT"

Posted 08-09-2018 19:14

I just ran into this today with a brand-new SRX320 only three days old. Maybe the difference is I also noticed the message "Device record not found (ERROR 701)" and "Device connecting (INFO 801)".

This was very much like the initial user said; ronjonp. I wanted to start from scratch so I factory defaulted it with the exception I did mine through the CLI. I was able to get back into the J-Web after clicking the skip and entering the password. However, it looks like this is a phone home process that's really annoying.

Is there a way to shut this off?

Also, I even had to reinstall the software because for some reason it became corrupted. I turned the device off by the button for the night. Turned it back on the next morning and presto! Corruption.

I'm using version 15.1X49-D140.2

Respectfully.

• 8.  RE: SRX320 - "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT"

Posted 08-16-2018 03:27

I'd be curious to know an answer to SRXNEWGUY question, any one?

• 9.  RE: SRX320 - "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT"

Posted 08-16-2018 03:43

you can deactivate phone-home and autoinstallation by removing the system autoinstallation and system phone-home stanza's via cli:

configure
    delete system phone-home
    delete system autoinstallation
    commit and-quit

Regarding fule system corruption; The SRX300 series have two root partitions in case one breaks due to improper shutdown or similar. The guideline states that you preferable should power down the device and not just remove the power plug.

But: If you have the same software on both partitions it should just boot on the alternate one and you can then sync the software via the command 'request system snapshot slice alternate' and verify status via 'show system snapshot media internal';

user@fw> show system snapshot media internal
    Information for snapshot on       internal (/dev/da0s1a) (primary)
    Creation date: Jul 27 16:37:37 2018
    JUNOS version on snapshot:
      junos  : 18.2R1.9
    Information for snapshot on       internal (/dev/da0s2a) (backup)
    Creation date: Aug 12 10:50:18 2018
    JUNOS version on snapshot:
      junos  : 18.2R1.9

More about dual root on SRX devices can be found here:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/security-dual-root-partitioning-scheme-overview.html

I hope this clarifies.

• 10.  RE: SRX320 - "DEVICE CANNOT CONNECT"

Posted 01-30-2022 18:59
    As @jonashauge  mentioned
    delete system phone-home
    worked to sol the same problem. Device reboot required.  Thanks.

And just funny enough this very simple thing wasn't mentioned in any JNCIA training videos for certifications, even j-web was mentioned quite often. So in reality basic tasks mentioned in certification training will be incomplete to login into J-web. ​