Junos OS

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  Downgrade Fail on EX Switch

Posted 04-01-2020 16:12

Hi,

I manage several EX series switches. I have been working on getting these to JTAC recommended versions.

This includes a few EX2200's. They're mostly running 15.1, but I have been slowly moving them to 12.3.

Most of these downgrades are completely fine. I install the update and schedule a reboot.

However, two of them are being difficult. I install Junos 12.3, which appears successful. I then reboot the switch, which takes over 30 minutes (abnormal even for these little switches).

After the reboot, they're still running 15.1, and I can't figure out why.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try next?

• 2.  RE: Downgrade Fail on EX Switch
    Best Answer

Posted 04-01-2020 18:34

Hi Luke.

I hope you're doing great.

I have seen such failure due to the login password format sha512 . since it is not supported in Junos 12.
    If you currently have that configuration please change it to sha1 or md5.

I am guessing that you got any kind of warning like this :

Validation failed
    ERROR: Current configuration not compatible with /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-2200-12.3R12-S12-domestic-signed.tgz
    WARNING: Current configuration not compatible with /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-2200-12.3R12-S12-domestic-signed.tgz.

If that knob is not the culprit definitely there is something else in the current conf not supported in code 12. 

For your reference check the link below :

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB31903&actp=METADATA

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too.

Kind regards.

• 3.  RE: Downgrade Fail on EX Switch

Posted 04-01-2020 19:51

Looks like you're on to something!

I will try to downgrade overnight, and let you know how it goes

• 4.  RE: Downgrade Fail on EX Switch

Posted 04-02-2020 13:10

Yep, that was it! They've now been downgraded.

Thanks!