Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Downgrade Fail on EX Switch

Posted 04-01-2020 16:12

Hi,

I manage several EX series switches. I have been working on getting these to JTAC recommended versions.

This includes a few EX2200's. They're mostly running 15.1, but I have been slowly moving them to 12.3.

Most of these downgrades are completely fine. I install the update and schedule a reboot.

However, two of them are being difficult. I install Junos 12.3, which appears successful. I then reboot the switch, which takes over 30 minutes (abnormal even for these little switches).

After the reboot, they're still running 15.1, and I can't figure out why.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try next?

• 2.  RE: Downgrade Fail on EX Switch
    Best Answer

Posted 04-01-2020 18:34

Hi Luke.

I hope you're doing great.

I have seen such failure due to the login password format sha512 . since it is not supported in Junos 12.
    If you currently have that configuration please change it to sha1 or md5.

I am guessing that you got any kind of warning like this :

Validation failed
    ERROR: Current configuration not compatible with /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-2200-12.3R12-S12-domestic-signed.tgz
    WARNING: Current configuration not compatible with /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-2200-12.3R12-S12-domestic-signed.tgz.

If that knob is not the culprit definitely there is something else in the current conf not supported in code 12. 

For your reference check the link below :

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB31903&actp=METADATA

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too.

Kind regards.

• 3.  RE: Downgrade Fail on EX Switch

Posted 04-01-2020 19:51

Looks like you're on to something!

I will try to downgrade overnight, and let you know how it goes

• 4.  RE: Downgrade Fail on EX Switch

Posted 04-02-2020 13:10

Yep, that was it! They've now been downgraded.

Thanks!