Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 02-11-2009 23:54

juniper.conf.gz
    It is THE config. It is used for rollback 0.
    Note that juniper.conf juniper.conf.gz and juniper.conf.gz.jc
    are morally equivalent.

Lives in: /config

juniper.db
    This is the shared candidate database

Lives in: /var/run/db

juniper.data
    This is the committed config database (i.e., the active configuration).

juniper.data+
    A copy of the candidate db, used during commit check, and
    during commit, becomes juniper.data if all is well.

juniper.conf+.gz
    This is the candidate configuration and only exists during commit.

junper.save
    juniper.data may contain the results of expanding groups and applying
    transient changes from commit scripts, in either case, juniper.save
    represents the committed db before those changes are applied.

This is needed for seeding private edit sessions and looking at the committed config without inheritance etc.

juniper.conf.1.gz through juniper.conf.3.gz
    Rollback configurations 1 through 3.

Live in: /config

juniper.conf.4.gz through juniper.conf.49.gz
    Rollback configurations 4 through 49.

Also, on JSeries at least the balance of configs in /config and
    /var/db/config is configurable.

Live in: /var/db/config

rescue.conf.gz
    A copy of a known good and working configuration that you can load in case of an emergency without having to remember which rollback number to use.

#tips

• 2.  RE: What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 06-13-2009 00:36

excellent post, thanks for sharing.

Ashley

• 3.  RE: What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 12-26-2009 21:40

Hi Raheel

Can you please let me know what is the location for JUNOS software active and backup both? I want to copy JUNOS software from router to ftp server.

Thanks for your help

• 4.  RE: What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 07-14-2010 16:19

@aeroplane wrote:

Hi Raheel

Can you please let me know what is the location for JUNOS software active and backup both? I want to copy JUNOS software from router to ftp server.

Thanks for your help

The easiest solution might be to enter configuration mode, save your configuration to your home directory, and then SFTP that off of the box.

• 5.  RE: What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 08-11-2010 13:19

Hi Aeroplane,

Sounds like you are looking for the jinstall file (for M/T/MX/TX series).  When the software is installed, it could potentially be unpacked from the jinstall anywhere on the file system to be split into several packages such as the jpfe, jbase, jcrypto, etc.  However, generally the jinstall file is saved in /var/tmp before "request system software add" is run, and that file is not removed automatically as part of the upgrade procedure.  Alternatively, it could be in one of the user directories on /var/home. 

This jinstall file is what you want to archive onto your FTP server, rather than any of the individual bundles anyway.

Hope this helps,

-JJ

• 6.  RE: What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 10-18-2010 09:20

Backup of JunOS software is placed at /var/sw/pkg. You can copy it through TFTP ....

Thanks

@aeroplane wrote:

Hi Raheel

Thanks for your help

• 7.  RE: What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 09-09-2010 19:50

Good doc.Thanks for shared.

• 8.  RE: What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 05-16-2011 01:02

Hi Raheel,

Thanks for a great post! I have couple of things to add, may be this will be useful
    for someone.

1) If you use a "configure dynamic" feature, the database file is /var/run/db/juniper.dyn

2) The size limit for the configuration databases (for each of the files juniper.data
    and juniper.dyn) is about 716MB - at least for JunOS 10.x on MX platforms.
    If this maximum will not be enough for your config, the system will not be able to
    increase the file size at some point, and you will get a commit error.

• 9.  RE: What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 07-20-2011 18:16

thanks for sharing, wonderful post.

Todd

• 10.  RE: What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 04-05-2013 04:19

Thanks for the post

• 11.  RE: What are the config files and where are they located on a JUNOS router?

Posted 07-01-2013 00:21

Configuration backup from 0-3 & rescue configuration are available in /config

root@SW08COC02> file list /config/

juniper.conf.1.gz
    juniper.conf.2.gz
    juniper.conf.3.gz
    juniper.conf.gz
    juniper.conf.md5*
    rescue.conf.gz

Configuration backup from 4-49 is available in /config/db/config; however it can also be accessed via /var/db/config
    because of the link below!

root@SW08COC02> file list /var/db

config@ -> /config/db/config