Routing

View Only
last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  QoS VoIP Issue still

Posted 04-03-2018 02:12

Hi,

Many apologies for disturbing you experts with this issue again, but I am having real problems even getting the basic working:

So, I have the following as a test:

BGP Router --> Core1 --> LNS1

I am simply running an extended ping from the BGP Cisco Router to the LNS interface address. I am classifying at the Core1 Interface facing the BGP Router. Here is my configuration:

set interfaces ge-1/0/1 unit 0 family inet filter input mf-classifier
    set interfaces ge-1/0/1 unit 0 family inet address 192.168.100.2/30
    set interfaces ge-1/0/1 unit 0 family iso

set class-of-service classifiers dscp v4-ba-classifier forwarding-class voice loss-priority low code-points 101110
    set class-of-service forwarding-classes queue 0 BE-data
    set class-of-service forwarding-classes queue 1 Premium-data
    set class-of-service forwarding-classes queue 2 voice
    set class-of-service forwarding-classes queue 3 NC
    set class-of-service interfaces ge-1/0/1 unit 0 classifiers dscp v4-ba-classifier
    set firewall family inet filter mf-classifier term priority from source-address 192.168.100.1/32
    set firewall family inet filter mf-classifier term priority then count voice
    set firewall family inet filter mf-classifier term priority then forwarding-class voice
    set firewall family inet filter mf-classifier term priority then accept
    set firewall family inet filter mf-classifier term all-else then accept

Now, I clear the interface stats and send an Extended ping test with the following settings:

Target IP address: 172.16.16.33
    Repeat count [5]: 500
    Datagram size [100]:
    Timeout in seconds [2]:
    Extended commands [n]: y
    Source address or interface: 
    Type of service [0]: 184 --->dscp is ef
    Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:
    Validate reply data? [no]:
    Data pattern [0xABCD]:
    Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:
    Sweep range of sizes [n]:
    Type escape sequence to abort.

And the results from the "show interface ge-1/0/1 extensive" command show the following:

Queue counters:               Queued packets                    Transmitted packets                      Dropped packets
    0                                             503                                              503                                                  0
    1                                               0                                                   0                                                    0
    2                                               0                                                   0                                                    0
    3                                              13                                                 13                                                   0
    Queue number: Mapped forwarding classes
    0 BE-data
    1 Premium-data
    2 voice
    3 NC

I expected to see the packets go into the Voice queue (number 2) and not into the Best Effort queue. Does not matter what I do I cannot get this marked traffic into the right queue

Any help please

• 2.  RE: QoS VoIP Issue still

Posted 04-03-2018 03:16

Is it possible that the following is occuring:

Juniper sees the Voice traffic as "46" DSCP - 101110 because it only reads the leading 6 bits...... However, when an extended ping is completed from a Cisco device it sends all 8 bits, hence the 2 extra zero's on the end and therefore changing the marking requirement to 184. I have tried 46 and 184 and neither makes any difference. But as mentioned, that could be because of a ping compatibility issue with the way Cisco sends and what Juniper is expecting to receive.

If I needed to check what was happening here, what is the best way to achieve this please?

• 3.  RE: QoS VoIP Issue still

Posted 04-04-2018 01:17

Okay, so I made a couple of changes as I realised that the firewall filter for the Classifier appears to be for unmarked traffic that can be marked upon Egress.... so, I just left in the DSCP command and pointed it to the voice queue. Again, no difference. So I tried with a VoIP phone sending SIP traffic unmarked and used a firewall filter and classifier. I got really weird results with this....

1: It made no difference to the traffic. It still ended up in the Best Effort Queue.

2: When the Classifier was applied to the ingress interface, I lost the eBGP peering..... When I removed the classifier the BGP peering became "Established" again. ---- That's weird.

So, does anyone have any idea why the eBGP peering relationship would be affected by the classifier?

• 4.  RE: QoS VoIP Issue still

Posted 04-04-2018 03:31

Ignore the Classifier part. I have now got that working.

I still have the issue where the traffic is being sent to the BE-Data queue (Best Effort) and not the voice queue.... I am looking at a different program that will allow me to ping test on certain ports....

• 5.  RE: QoS VoIP Issue still
    Best Answer

Posted 04-04-2018 07:47

Okay, I now have it working. The data is going to the correct queue.

Just for peoples information... Cisco do indeed add the 2 bits to the CoS type of service... so, normally SIP VoIP would look like the following:

32   16   8   4   2    1

1     0      1   1   1    0     =   46

So, normally we would look for dscp 46 in ToS field, but because of the added 2 zero's we get the following:

128    64    32    16    8    4    2    1

1        0       1       1     1    0    0    0    =    184

So, when running the extended ping, make sure in the ToS field you type 184 if you are expecting dscp 101110.

Anyway, hope that helps someone