Routing

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  BGP Dual-Home with default route only

Posted 12-10-2018 13:20

Hello,

I've been scratching my head for a week as to what is the best solution to my problem.  I haven't found any other discussion on this topic which I think is pretty common:

We have 2 BGP sessions with our upstreams, each announcing a default-route.  If one of the ISP performs an upgrade on their router, BGP goes down and life is good.  However, as their router reloads, the BGP session with us - announcing a default-route - is coming back up before their router as the full table loaded, resulting in a ~30 seconds outage after the BGP neighbor is back up.

** I depicted the situation as most people would see it, in our case we have an advantage, we are also the upstream provider.

Here are my thought:

1.  Have the upstream (still us in our case) receive the default-route from the internet and propagate it to the customer, in this case the default route wouldn't be generated by the PE, avoiding the blackhole situation on reload

2.  Use a recursive default route with a next-hop of a summary (eg 192.0.2.0/24) from the upstream (e.g. static route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 192.0.2.0)

I don't like the first one as it means introducing a default-route in our public ASN.

I don't like the second one as it still a static route in a fully dynamic environment

What are your thoughts on this?

#BGP
    #default-route
    #dual-home
    #ISP

• 2.  RE: BGP Dual-Home with default route only
    Best Answer

Posted 12-10-2018 19:22

Hello,

There is always a 3rd option 🙂

If Your ISP router is from Juniper, then ask Your ISP team to introduce a delay in announcing the 0/0 to You until this ISP router fully converges

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/delay-route-advertisements-edit-protocols-group-family-unicast.html

HTH

Thx

Alex