Routing

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  GRE Encapsulation

Posted 03-07-2018 03:48

Hi guys,

I have a quick question regarding GRE encapsulation. Does GRE encapsulate the whole packet or just the IP header? The below seems to be a bit confusing for me?

"GRE encapsulates a payload, that is, an inner packet that needs to be delivered to a destination network inside an outer IP packet. GRE tunnel endpoints send payloads through GRE tunnels by routing encapsulated packets through intervening IP networks. Other IP routers along the way do not parse the payload (the inner packet); they only parse the outer IP packet as they forward it towards the GRE tunnel endpoint. Upon reaching the tunnel endpoint, GRE encapsulation is removed and the payload is forwarded to it’s ultimate destination."

Any input from you would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: GRE Encapsulation
    Best Answer

Posted 03-07-2018 03:57
    Hi,

This is how gre encapsulated packet look like.

Payload|ip header| Gre header| outer IP header|

So you can say, it encapsulate the whole payload ( Inner Ip hearder + it’s payload)

• 3.  RE: GRE Encapsulation

Posted 03-07-2018 04:04

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response. Understood now, make sense.

Suresh

• 4.  RE: GRE Encapsulation

Posted 10-08-2018 20:27
      |   view attached

hello dears,
    I have a doubt, on the JNCIS-SP guide (Junos Intermediate Routing) it says: "As a packet enters an IP tunnel, the tunneling protocol encapsulates the entire packet, including the header."
    It is on the chapter 5: IP Tunneling and is at begining the chapter
    Then, GRE encapsulates whole packet, isn't it?

• 5.  RE: GRE Encapsulation

Posted 10-09-2018 01:41

Hi there,

Both your books excerpt and @Kingman reply confirm that the entire IP packet (header + payload) are encapsulated:

Payload|ip header| Gre header| outer IP header|

Maybe looking at a PCAP might help:

gre-encapsulation-packet-capture.jpg 

cheers,

Seb.