Routing

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  BGP route advertisement in JUNOS

Posted 02-11-2013 00:09

Hello, im new in JUNOS.

I tried to configure external BGP in simple topology [R1(as1)]-[R2(as2)]-[R3(as3)].

The configuration is almost default.

R1 and R3 routers have the export policy: with from proto static and direct. R2 don't have any policy - so R2 should advertise all routes from BGP process to both neighbors.

So the Question is: Why Router 2 BGP in JUNOS doesnt advertise R1-R2 connected subnet to R3 when no import/export policy on R2 is configured.

In CISCO R3 sees the connected R1/R2 subnet when no policy or redistribution is configured on R2.

I hope you guys understood the question.

Thanks.

is this advertise-inactive command influence ?

#bgpadvertisiment

• 2.  RE: BGP route advertisement in JUNOS
    Best Answer

Posted 02-11-2013 06:02

hi,

from R2 point of view, R1-R2 subnet is known as direct route, not BGP one. BGP route is inactive. Just check 'show route R1-R2-prefix detail' . Yesadvertise-inactive may be helpful here.

jtb

• 3.  RE: BGP route advertisement in JUNOS

Posted 02-11-2013 06:20

Thanks!

maybe somewhere there are more differences between CISCO and JUNOS default behaviour listed like this... at some site?

• 4.  RE: BGP route advertisement in JUNOS

Posted 02-11-2013 06:26

Hello,

Years ago, I found out that the single best source describing the differences between JUNOS ans IOS (but not IOS-XE or IOS-XR) is the book by W.Goralski titled "Juniper and Cisco Routing: Policy and Protocols for Multivendor IP Networks"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Juniper-Cisco-Routing-Protocols-Multivendor/dp/0471215929 

HTH

Thanks

Alex