Routing

Expand all | Collapse all

MC-LAG Layer 3 unicast functionality?

• 1.  MC-LAG Layer 3 unicast functionality?

Posted 10-21-2020 08:59

Hi all,

Based on this url https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/mc-lag-high-availability-l3-vrrp-macsync.html#id-example-configuring-multichassis-link-aggregation-for-layer-3-unicast-using-mac-address-synchronization

"You can choose either to synchronize the MAC addresses for the Layer 3 interfaces of the switches participating in the MC-LAG, or you can configure Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP), but you cannot configure both at the same time."

It said cannot use at same time. But when i look on config on that url the "mcae-mac-synchronize" was tie into irb interface. So it should not have issue right if we mix in one MC-LAG interface with VRRP and mcae-mac-synchronize with different irb? For example irb.40 i'm use VRRP method and irb.50 i'm use mcae-mac-synchronize method.

Thanks and appreciate any feedback.

• 2.  RE: MC-LAG Layer 3 unicast functionality?

Posted 5 days ago
    That's an interesting questions!!! 

I've tested MC-LAG extensively, but never tested having both VRRP and mcae-mac-synchronize at the same time as you mentioned.  I cannot  think of a reason why it would not work, BUT I would test it carefully before implementing it in production.   I would look closely at loop avoidance, and failover under different failure scenarios.  

Regards, 

------------------------------
    Yasmin Lara
    Juniper Ambassador
    JNCIE-SP, JNCIE-ENT, JNCIE-DC, JNCIE-SEC
    JNCDS-DC, JNCIA-DevOps, JNCIP-CLOUD, CCNP-ENT

• 3.  RE: MC-LAG Layer 3 unicast functionality?

Posted yesterday
    Hi, it's better to identify first if you really need this type of configuration mix. Here are some recommendations and notes on using VRRP and mac-address synchronization:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/best-practices-usage-notes.html#jd0e493

This document was really helpful when I've started configuring different features with MC-LAG installation.

Regards,
    Elchin