Switching

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  MC-LAG between two VCFs

Posted 08-16-2017 09:35

Hi all.

Can the two non-mixed VCFs (Virtual Chassis Fabric) form MC-LAG please?  Meaning each VCF will be MC-LAG peer.

The search in documentation (VCF feature guide / VCF best practises) and forums didn't gave me the clear answer.

The customer wants each server room to be one manageable entity. I would prefer to create one bigger VCF spanning through both server roooms though.

The each server room will have VCF made from 2xQFX5100-24Q as spines and 5x QFX5100-48S/ QFX5100-48T as leaves.

Thank you.

Regards
    Ludek Matousek

#mc-lag
    #VCF

• 2.  RE: MC-LAG between two VCFs
    Best Answer

Posted 08-16-2017 09:40

I am fairly certain the answer is no.  A node/switch can be configured as either MC-LAG or VCF/VC, not both at the same time.

Now you could connect the 2 x VCF to another pair of switches which are configured to be a MC-LAG pair.

I am not sure of the complete requirements, but making this into a single larger VCF would appear to be a good idea.

• 3.  RE: MC-LAG between two VCFs

Posted 08-16-2017 10:25

MC-LAG is not supported on a standard VC (we found out the hard way with a pair of 24Q's) so I assume not on VCF as well.

• 4.  RE: MC-LAG between two VCFs

Posted 11-05-2017 03:04

Thanks. You are correct.

• 5.  RE: MC-LAG between two VCFs

Posted 08-16-2017 13:40

Thank you both rccpgm and smicker.

I had feeling that this configuration is likely not supported. Accepted as solved.