Switching

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  MC-lag question

Posted 08-11-2018 00:39

hey Junos

hey rccpgm

im following this pdf to make the MC-LAG configuration but there is something i didnt get

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/nce/information-products/pathway-pag...

in the page 33

set protocols iccp peer 192.18.39.1 backup-liveness-detection backup-peer-ip 10.105.5.5

the ip 10.105.5.5 is it point to point FXP0 ip or what? and should i advirtise it by ospf

2nd question

set interfaces irb unit 100 family inet address 192.168.10.2/24 arp 192.168.10.3 mac 00:1f:12:b6:6f:f0

what command to show me that needed mac, show int irb.100 ex?

thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: MC-lag question
    Best Answer

Posted 08-11-2018 06:09

Backup-liveness-connection is optional and has always confused me as well.  Unfortunately, the documentation is clear as mud on this subject.  See here (FYI if you select the CLI Explorer re-direct, you'll just end up in a loop!):

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/backup-liveness-detection-edit-protocols-iccp-peer-qfx-series.html

Basically as far as I know it is just a second connection between the nodes other than ICCP/ICL to test if other node is up or not.  Therefore additional protection if ICCP goes down.  A better solution, IMHO, is to put in additional redundancy for ICCP/ICP.  I always recommend these be put together as part of an AE that is split HW wise across different modules.  Requires at least 2 faults to physically have this link go down.

Yes, FXP0 can be used for this - most common method??   I think so.  As for learning within OSPF, I'd think no.  Just need communication across this link between the 2 nodes.

As for interface mac, I'd suggest you use either:

show interface extensive (look for hardware address)

or

show interface ge-x/y/z extensive | match hardware

This should work for both physical and logical interfaces

Just FYI for anyone reading this article, Juniper is moving away from MC-LAG as one the preferred solution, to instead use EVPN/VXLAN (or MPLS depending upon product) almost exclusively.  If you have a greenfield deployment, I might suggest it is a good idea to consider an EVPN based architecture, or at least consider this technology.

Good luck, HTH.

• 3.  RE: MC-lag question

Posted 08-23-2018 02:56

is it the same MAC that showing when doing the command

show lldp neighbors?

• 4.  RE: MC-lag question

Posted 08-23-2018 05:28

I believe yes, maybe someone else could confirm 100%.

• 5.  RE: MC-lag question

Posted 08-26-2018 06:37

thanks

dose this worning looks familiar to you

"warning: prefer-status-control-active is used with status-control standby. Use this command only if BLD is configured"

its showing while commiting i didnt do the backup-liveness-detection since you mentioned its optional.