Switching

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Virtual Chassis Configuration Questions

Posted 06-30-2009 08:00

I have two questions:

1) Can the ports on the uplink module  EX-UM-2X4SFP (2-port 10Gbe SFP+/ 4-port 1Gbe SFP) be used as VCP ports or is that limited to the EX-UM-2XFP and EX-UM-4SFP uplink modules?

2) Can I create one virtual chassis with 7 switches by using the only the uplink module ports or do they need to be grouped up using the Virtual Chassis cables in pairs (minimum) and then extended via the uplink ports? Basically I want to stick 1 switch each in 7 server racks, chain them together and then uplink to my core switches taking only one 10Gbe port as primary (all that is available) and 1 Gb port  as secondary in the secondary core switch.

Thanks 

#daisy
    #chain
    #vcp
    #chassis
    #virtual

• 2.  RE: Virtual Chassis Configuration Questions
    Best Answer

Posted 06-30-2009 10:25

Hi,

1) Yes you can. http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/virtual-chassis-uplink-vcp-cli.html

2) Normally 3m cabel lenght is enough (in braided ring topology) to chain all 7 ToR switches together (then all 7 appears as a single VC). But you also could build VC by using optical ports as a VCP extensions if 3m cabel length is not enough. And yes you can use one 10 Gig port as a primary and 1 Gig uplink as a secondary from VC to the core.

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament

Juniper Networks