Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Ping Routing-Instance from a different vendor router

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 08-18-2023 14:40
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

Dear Community, 

I am really sorry for the newbie question, but I need to know if it is possible and how to ping a routing-instance from a different vendor router, such as Mikrotik for example. Is there any specific command or should it be running for example as an extended ping with the source address from the Juniper router itself? Is there any other filter or configuration that I need to open to allow this ping?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards!

• 2.  RE: Ping Routing-Instance from a different vendor router

Posted 08-19-2023 03:47

Hi,

Sorry, the question was not really clear to me. Do you mean that the you have a Juniper router with a routing-instance and an interface in that routing-instance that you would like to ping from an external router from a different vendor?

If yes, it shouldn't matter whether the destination you want to ping is configured inside a Juniper routing-instance or without a routing-instance. The command used to ping for the external vendor router shouldn't be any different than usual. The things that you may check though are : -

- There must be a valid route from the external router towards the destination you are trying to ping.

- There must have a valid route on the destination towards the source (for echo response to be sent back). On the Juniper router, it is possible that the goal is in a routing-instance, and the source-interface through which the packet hits the router is in a different routing-instance. So, please ensure that the routes within the routing-instaces are proper.

- There shouldn't be a firewall-filter blocking this ICMP communication. For Juniper routers, please check whether an input or an output firewall policy on the interfaces in the path are allowing this ping. It is also possible that a input firewall filter applied on the lo0.0 interface may be blocking the pings to protect the RE.

Sharing your topology and the configuration would help to answer it in a more relevant way.

Regards

------------------------------
    Sheetanshu Shekhar
    ------------------------------