Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  MX204 - configuring a VPLS instance within an existing vrf type Routing-instance

Posted 08-11-2023 05:24

As the name suggests, I'm trying to work out how, or even if, I can configure a VPLS instance within an existing vrf type Routing-instance on two MX204 routers. I'm trying to do this to preserve the existing routing within the VRF on both routers, which is mission critical and includes existing eBGP peering, as well as vrrp gateways for both ipv4 and 6 traffic coming from a SIP SBC.

due to layer 2 changes downstream of these routers going towards the SBC, the vrrp session PDUs will need to flow through the network core between the two routers rather than in the layer 2 broadcast domain in between them and the SBC. I've already proven that the VRRP master/backup selection can occur through VPLS, but what I'm bumping up against is how to create the VPLS sites within the existing VRF config.

Has anyone out there ever tried to nest a VPLS site within an existing VRF in such a way?

thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    CONOR MCCANN

• 2.  RE: MX204 - configuring a VPLS instance within an existing vrf type Routing-instance

Posted 08-11-2023 06:26

I don't think you can connect these two different types of routing instance directly like that.

But you could create a logical tunnel interface pair on the MX and have one interface of the pair in the vpls and the connected interface of the pair in the vrf instance.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/interfaces-encryption/topics/topic-map/connecting-logical-systems-logical-tunnel-interfaces.html

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP - Retired)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: MX204 - configuring a VPLS instance within an existing vrf type Routing-instance

Posted 08-11-2023 10:14

You simply create a separate instance of type vpls (or virtual-switch containing a bridge-domain) and assign the same routing-interface (irb) to the VPLS and VRF instances:

Configuring VPLS and Integrated Routing and Bridging | Junos OS | Juniper Networks

interfaces {

irb {

unit 123 {

family inet {

address 10.0.0.2/24 {

vrrp-group 1 {

virtual-address 10.0.0.1;

accept-data;

}

}

}

}