Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  GBICs

Posted 07-31-2023 05:29

My Company is moving to Juniper Switches from that other "company". Can I use their GBICs in my new Juniper Devices?

------------------------------
    STEVEN BODDY

• 2.  RE: GBICs

Posted 07-31-2023 06:26

Juniper does NOT aggressively enforce using their optics like other vendors.  You can install 3rd party or other vendor optics.  Most of the time they do work but occasionally the firmware is not compatible.

Naturally if there is an issue with the optic this cannot be submitted as a support ticket.  But Juniper support is far more reasonable and they do NOT close tickets or stop support on unrelated issues just because you have non-Juniper optics in devices.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP - Retired)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: GBICs

Posted 07-31-2023 07:43

Hi ,

It depend on the JTAC itself. Some JTAC dont want to detail support if they see have non-juniper GBIC unplug in the switch. They will ask to change first to juniper GBIC before they can proceed continue support.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: GBICs

Posted 08-01-2023 14:29

I went from HPE/Aruba to Juniper and had to purchase new GBIC's, but I was able to purchase third party Prolines and they work fine.

DOUG TATHWELL