Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4650 virtual chassis - strange CLI message

Posted 08-29-2023 10:14

Hi all,

I have configured 2 EX4650 switches for a virtual chassis using pre-provisioned configuration as seen below:

#show virtual-chassis
    preprovisioned;
    no-split-detection;
    member 0 {
        role routing-engine;
        serial-number xxxx;
    }
    member 1 {
        role routing-engine;
        serial-number yyyy;
    }

#show virtual-chassis status

Preprovisioned Virtual Chassis
    Virtual Chassis ID: ee37.9314.b699
    Virtual Chassis Mode: Enabled
                                                                                                   Mstr           Mixed  Route Neighbor List
    Member ID  Status   Serial No    Model          prio  Role      Mode  Mode ID  Interface
    0 (FPC 0)  Prsnt             xxxy ex4650-48y-8c  129   Master*      N  VC   1  vcp-255/0/54
                                                                                                                                                         1  vcp-255/0/55
    1 (FPC 1)  Prsnt             yyyy ex4650-48y-8c  129   Backup       N  VC   0  vcp-255/0/54
                                                                                                                                                        0  vcp-255/0/55

After powering down the switches and setting them up in the rack for production I powered up the primary switch and got the following message while connected via console(CON port):

warning: This chassis is operating in a non-master role as part of a virtual-chassis (VC) system.

warning: Use of interactive commands should be limited to debugging and VC Port operations.

warning: Full CLI access is provided by the Virtual Chassis Master (VC-M) chassis.

warning: The VC-M can be identified through the show virtual-chassis status command executed at this console.

warning: Please logout and log into the VC-M to use CLI.

Doing a bit of search it seems that this warning is shown if you are connected to a line card switch in VC configuration. Does anyone have an idea why this message is shown while connected to a primary master while the backup master is shut down?

• 2.  RE: EX4650 virtual chassis - strange CLI message

Posted 08-30-2023 02:39

Hi all,

I have tested this situation on another pair of EX4650 switches(non-production) in preprovisioned configuration and it looks that while only one routing engine is booted there is a delay until the standalone switch, at that moment, figures out it's configured as a master.

#show virtual-chassis status

Preprovisioned Virtual Chassis
    Virtual Chassis ID: 
    Virtual Chassis Mode: Enabled
                                                                                                               Mstr                Mixed Route Neighbor List
    Member ID  Status   Serial No    Model                       prio  Role      Mode  Mode ID  Interface
    0 (FPC 0)        Prsnt         zzzz          ex4650-48y-8c  129   Linecard*    N  VC
    1 (FPC 1)        NotPrsnt tttt

I assume this is default behaviour but I can't find any documentation on this.

This sets another question in my mind. If this situation does arise is there any effect on the production(configured ports on the VC, devices connected to the VC, routing, ...) until the VC gets itself together?

• 3.  RE: EX4650 virtual chassis - strange CLI message

Posted 08-30-2023 06:03

Hi,

What version junos that u running. I dont face that issue previously. Do u configure GRES/NSR/NSB?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: EX4650 virtual chassis - strange CLI message

Posted 08-30-2023 06:45

Hi,

I'm running the following:

Model: ex4650-48y-8c
    Junos: 20.2R3-S1.3 flex

I'm running GRES, nonstop-routing and nonstop-bridging.