- Configure Junos to accept Remote Procedure Calls (gRPC)
- Prepare configuration files for docker containers
- Start Docker containers
- Access the graphical interface and create own dashboards for interesting telemetry streams
Prepare Junos Evolved for Streaming Telemetry
Junos Evolved 21.4R1 is used here as an example. Streaming measurements out of a networking node can be performed in a few ways. In this guide, OpenConfig gRPC Network Management Interface (GNMI) is used for data encoding and transport. It is a widely adopted choice.
Basic configuration of gRPC:
- EXTENSIONS_FS_DEVICE_SIZE_MIB= is the maximum storage space in bytes that containers can use. The default value is 8 GB or 30% of the total size of /var, whichever is smaller.
- EXTENSIONS_CPU_QUOTA_PERCENTAGE= is the maximum percentage of CPU usage that containers can use. The default value is 20% max CPU use across all cores.
- EXTENSIONS_MEMORY_MAX_MIB= is the maximum amount of physical memory in bytes that containers can use. The default value is 2 GB or 10% of total physical memory, whichever is smaller.
- RPD: Routing Process Daemon
- JSD: Juniper Extension Toolkit (JET) Service Process
- TIG: Telegraf, InfluxDB, Grafana
- GNMI: gRPC (Remore Procedure Call) Network Management Interface
- DB: database
- CPU: central processing unit
If you want to reach out for comments, feedback or questions, drop us a mail at: