Junos OS

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

Upgrade Paths,

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Upgrade Paths,

Posted 06-09-2022 11:46

I have a admit I find Junipers upgrades paths documentation most unclear and contradictory

To be 100% clear does this mean so long as I get up to a EEOL release  can Jump forward to ANY EEOL release I want ? 

Start: 13.2X51-D25.3 

Finish:  20.4R3-S2

so is this valid direct upgrade is this valid ?

13.2X51-D25.3  >>  20.4R3-S2   

Juniper says 

"You can upgrade from Junos OS Release 15.1 to Release 16.2. " 

but according to the list 

15.1  > 16.2 (  jumping over 15.1x49 EEOL , 15.1X53 EEOL ,16,1 EEOL )  so this is going forward 4 EEOL releases not 3.  is this because 15.1x49 and 15.1x53 are the same major releases ?

in which case for 13.2X51-D25.3  >>  20.4R3-S2    would require

13.2X51-D25.3 > 14.2 > 16.2 >17.3 >18.2 > 19.1 >19.4 > 20.3 > 20.4R3-S2

Any clarity on this would be appreciated. ?

Junipers documentation here :

Upgrade and Downgrade Support Policy for Junos OS Releases

Support for upgrades and downgrades that span more than three Junos OS releases at a time is not provided, except for releases that are designated as Extended End-of-Life (EEOL) releases. EEOL releases provide direct upgrade and downgrade paths-you can upgrade directly from one EEOL release to the next EEOL release even though EEOL releases generally occur in increments beyond three releases. You can upgrade or downgrade to the EEOL release that occurs directly before or after the currently installed EEOL release, or to two EEOL releases before or after. For example, Junos OS Releases 14.1, 14.2, 15.1 and 16.1 are EEOL releases. You can upgrade from Junos OS Release 14.1 to Release 15.1 or from Junos OS Release 15.1 to Release 16.2. However, you cannot upgrade directly from a non-EEOL release that is more than three releases ahead or behind. To upgrade or downgrade from a non-EEOL release to a release more than three releases before or after, first upgrade to the next EEOL release and then upgrade or downgrade from that EEOL release to your target release.

For more information about EEOL releases and to review a list of EEOL releases, see https://www.juniper.net/support/eol/junos.html.

For information about software installation and upgrade, see the Installation and Upgrade Guide.

------------------------------
    Simon Bingham
    ------------------------------