Switching

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  Spanning Tree - RSTP

Posted 06-20-2022 05:52
    I am designing a network in a collapsed core structure (Access switches connecting to the two cores). I have about 5 different VLANs
    Can someone please let me know what the ideal parameters to be configured to use the RSTP for an EX4550 switch are?

Can I not enable RSTP on all interfaces at once, like cisco?

And can someone please let me know what is shared interface mode? (Is it the one I should use for my design)

set protocols rstp interface all mode ?
    Possible completions:
    point-to-point Interface mode is point-to-point
    shared Interface mode is shared

------------------------------
    Raj Pot

• 2.  RE: Spanning Tree - RSTP

Posted 06-20-2022 10:04
    Hi,

RSTP is the way to go, no doubt if STP is needed.
    The CORE should be set to be the Root.
    The access-switches, just give them priority so it wont try to become master.
    The access-ports, configure as edge ports.
    Depending on the JunOS version, there isnt always a "all interface" command. One way to work around it is to use apply-groups maybe.
    Otherwise, enable it per interface.

Edge switches:
    set protocols rstp bridge-priority 60k
    set protocols rstp interface ge-0/0/0.0 edge

Trunk port (aka uplink) to Core:
    set protocols rstp interface xe-0/0/0 mode point-to-point

Also optional stuff like
    set interfaces interface-range User_Edge_Port_Security_Settings member ge-0/0/0
    set interfaces interface-range User_Edge_Port_Security_Settings member "ge-0/0/[1-10]"
    set interfaces interface-range User_Edge_Port_Security_Settings description "Common parameters for all Edge interfaces"
    set ethernet-switching-options secure-access-port interface User_Edge_Port_Security_Settings mac-limit 5
    set ethernet-switching-options secure-access-port interface User_Edge_Port_Security_Settings mac-limit action shutdown
    set ethernet-switching-options bpdu-block interface User_Edge_Port_Security_Settings

CORE to the access-switch
    set protocols rstp bridge-priority 48k
    set protocols rstp interface xe-0/0/1 mode point-to-point

Other stuff to handle BUM traffic.
    set groups STORM-CTRL interfaces <ge*> unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control custom
    set groups STORM-CTRL interfaces <xe*> unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control custom
    set apply-groups STORM-CTRL
    set forwarding-options storm-control-profiles custom all bandwidth-percentage 1

Hope it helps on building your network!
    //Rob

​​