Switching

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  QFX3500 - Virtual Chassis unsupported?

Posted 05-31-2022 09:53

Hi everyone,

First time poster here.

I recently purchased two refurbished QFX3500s with the purpose of implementing HA switching.

After I configured my primary switch with the below commands, I noticed that when I `show config` it says the virtual-chassis code block is not supported.

```

##

## Warning: configuration block ignored: unsupported platform (qfx3500s)
    ##
    virtual-chassis {
        preprovisioned;
        no-split-detection;                
        member 0 {
            mastership-priority 255;
            role routing-engine;
            serial-number XXXXX;
        }
        member 1 {
            mastership-priority 255;
            role routing-engine;
            serial-number XXXXX;
        }

}

```

From everything I've seen, two QFX3500s are a supported virtual-chassis configuration Understanding QFX Series Virtual Chassis

I couldn't see any licencing requirements for the QFX3500 for basic virtual-chassis configuration Licenses for QFX Series

Both swtiches are configured as standalone switches, in accordance with Configuring a QFX3500 Device as a Standalone Switch

Any suggesstions or ideas as to why my primary switch says the block is not confiured are welcome.

The secondary/alternate switch just has the standalone configuration applied to it, not VC configuration.

------------------------------
    ALEXANDER HUSSEY

• 2.  RE: QFX3500 - Virtual Chassis unsupported?

Posted 06-04-2022 10:19
    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/virtual-chassis-qfx/topics/task/virtual-chassis-qfx-series-cli.html

"For QFX3500 or QFX3600 switches in a Virtual Chassis, you must download the Junos OS image that supports Virtual Chassis-an image that includes "jinstall-qfx-3-" in the filename when the Junos OS image is downloaded from the Software Center. QFX3500 and QFX3600 switches that are node devices in a QFabric system cannot be part of a Virtual Chassis."

• 3.  RE: QFX3500 - Virtual Chassis unsupported?

Posted 06-04-2022 20:24

Hi smicker,

I honestly don't know how I missed that one line in the documentation, but that seems to be the issue.
    If the image didn't support VC, should the commit check still pass?

|'m downloading a much newer OS version now and it has that prefix, so will test shortly.

Kind regards,
    Alex​

ALEXANDER HUSSEY