Routing

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

Expand all | Collapse all

Question on the use of multiple L2VPN sites within the same routing instance.

Jump to Best Answer
This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Question on the use of multiple L2VPN sites within the same routing instance.

Posted 11-26-2021 11:33

Hi.

I have two CE-facing interfaces in my L2VPN routing instance. Both CE-facing interfaces are configured under the same site (SITE-A) as follows (I'm using LT interfaces in my setup since I don't have real cables).:

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-A site-identifier 1

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-A interface lt-0/0/0.2 remote-site-id 2

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-A interface lt-0/0/0.4 remote-site-id 3

This leads to a unique incoming (from MPLS core) pseudowire label per CE-facing interface. Connectivity is successful amongst all customer sites.

Now I change my configuration to have my CE-facing interfaces in different sites (SITE-A and SITE-B) but still within the same routing instance.

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-A site-identifier 1

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-A interface lt-0/0/0.2 remote-site-id 2

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-B site-identifier 4

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-B interface lt-0/0/0.4 remote-site-id 3

This still leads to a unique incoming (from MPLS core) pseudowire label per CE-facing interface. Connectivity amongst all sites of the customer is intact. So the same as in the first scenario.

So my question is.. within a single routing instance, in what condition would I need to keep both my CE-facing interfaces in different sites instead of a single site?

Thanks,

Deepak

• 2.  RE: Question on the use of multiple L2VPN sites within the same routing instance.
    Best Answer

Posted 11-29-2021 05:32
    hi Deepak,
    in your case I think that the difference is more for the administration side than technical side, so you could put all sites from a specific customer in single routing-instance, identifying that customer by that routing-instance, thus facilitating troubleshooting later.

------------------------------
    Eduardo Haro
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Question on the use of multiple L2VPN sites within the same routing instance.

Posted 11-29-2021 14:50
    Thanks Eduardo.