Routing

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Question on the use of multiple L2VPN sites within the same routing instance.

Posted 11-26-2021 11:33

Hi.

I have two CE-facing interfaces in my L2VPN routing instance. Both CE-facing interfaces are configured under the same site (SITE-A) as follows (I'm using LT interfaces in my setup since I don't have real cables).:

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-A site-identifier 1

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-A interface lt-0/0/0.2 remote-site-id 2

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-A interface lt-0/0/0.4 remote-site-id 3

This leads to a unique incoming (from MPLS core) pseudowire label per CE-facing interface. Connectivity is successful amongst all customer sites.

Now I change my configuration to have my CE-facing interfaces in different sites (SITE-A and SITE-B) but still within the same routing instance.

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-A site-identifier 1

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-A interface lt-0/0/0.2 remote-site-id 2

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-B site-identifier 4

set routing-instances VPN-A protocols l2vpn site SITE-B interface lt-0/0/0.4 remote-site-id 3

This still leads to a unique incoming (from MPLS core) pseudowire label per CE-facing interface. Connectivity amongst all sites of the customer is intact. So the same as in the first scenario.

So my question is.. within a single routing instance, in what condition would I need to keep both my CE-facing interfaces in different sites instead of a single site?

Thanks,

Deepak

• 2.  RE: Question on the use of multiple L2VPN sites within the same routing instance.
    Best Answer

Posted 11-29-2021 05:32
    hi Deepak,
    in your case I think that the difference is more for the administration side than technical side, so you could put all sites from a specific customer in single routing-instance, identifying that customer by that routing-instance, thus facilitating troubleshooting later.

------------------------------
    Eduardo Haro
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Question on the use of multiple L2VPN sites within the same routing instance.

Posted 11-29-2021 14:50
    Thanks Eduardo.