Routing

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

rfc2544-benchmarking MX/ACX

• 1.  rfc2544-benchmarking MX/ACX

Posted 12-18-2021 19:51
    Hello,

I started testing the rfc2544 benchmarking features and failed in multiple cases.
    Would appreciate any help (or sharing your examples) in regards to the below issue.
    I am not confident it was designed to be used in the following way - so any help will be appreciated.

All my tests are driven by the official document Configuring Benchmarking Test Parameters and VPLS Parameters 

The case is very simple:
    1. There is a vpls service  <RFC2544 Tester><ge-0/0/7><MX-Router with VPLS instance >

2. The instance and port configuration is very simple

set interfaces xe-0/0/7 description "[TESTER] 1G Tester"
    set interfaces xe-0/0/7 encapsulation ethernet-vpls
    set interfaces xe-0/0/7 unit 0 family vpls

set routing-instances epl1 protocols vpls site LOC interface xe-0/0/7.0
    set routing-instances epl1 protocols vpls site LOC site-identifier 2
    set routing-instances epl1 protocols vpls site-range 2
    set routing-instances epl1 protocols vpls no-tunnel-services
    set routing-instances epl1 description "[TESTER] 1G Tester "
    set routing-instances epl1 instance-type vpls
    set routing-instances epl1 interface xe-0/0/7.0
    set routing-instances epl1 route-distinguisher 999:1
    set routing-instances epl1 vrf-target target:999:1

2. The RFC 2544 is configured as follows

set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test source-mac-address 00:18:63:00:0b:3b
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test destination-mac-address 84:c8:07:1a:89:79
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test service-type eline
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test in-service
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test mode reflect
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test reflect-mode mac-swap
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test family vpls
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test direction ingress
    set services rpm rfc2544-benchmarking tests test-name test test-interface xe-0/0/7.0
    set chassis fpc 0 slamon-services rfc2544

3. The RFC tester is running a well know setup (so same instance - tester -to- tester all is good).

What is my expectation:
    - as I am configuring reflector on MX - my assumption is it should return/reflect all traffic back to the tester (so sort of smart loop) - this is not happening 
    - according to the documentation - MX should be able to play a "generator/initiator" mode - but somehow it's not available under my setup (I tested MX960/MX104/ACX5448) 
    and I did not find any "exact" specification to the RE/SCB and/or service card?

My questions are: 

- is my logic correct - it should reflect any other RFC2544 originated traffic or its proprietary implementation and only Juniper-to-Juniper will work?
    - any help with clarifying the "hardware/software" related requirements to be able to use "generator".

Thank you in advance 
    Andrei