Switching

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Can't set plain-text-password on EX

Posted 12-01-2021 15:10
    Hello!

I'm unfortunately having trouble setting a plain text password for my admin user account on the EX3400 switch. It seems like no one else has had this issue on the forum, at least I was unable to find a similar issue.

This is what I'm getting:
    #set system login user admin authentication plain-text-password                                      <---- Here I input the command to set the password
                                                                                                                                                                                            <---- Nothing happens for a while (I've waited up to 10 mins)
    ^C[abort]                                                                                                                                                                  <---- I hit ctrl + c to abort
    New Password:                                                                                                                                                      <---- I'm prompted for a new password and I enter the password.
                                                                                                                                                                                             <---- I'm not prompted to confirm the password and returned to the top of the config.
    #show | compare​                                                                                                                                                   <---- I try and view the changes that I've made to the candidate config but nothing is showing.​

Then when I commit and try to login with the password it doesn't work. It works over neither SSH nor console and I have access to both.​

Is anyone able to see what I am doing wrong here? I've provided some extra details below. I appreciate anyone's help and will gladly provide more info if needed.

Device: EX3400-48P
    Version: 20.2R3.9

------------------------------
    JOHN HIGH

• 2.  RE: Can't set plain-text-password on EX

Posted 12-01-2021 17:13
    Can you confirm if the account you are using to set the password has sufficient privilege's ?

ANKUR

• 3.  RE: Can't set plain-text-password on EX

Posted 12-01-2021 23:09
    Hello Ankur!

I can confirm that I am logged in as root when I try to configure the password. I'm also trying to make this configuration change over the console port if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

JOHN HIGH

• 4.  RE: Can't set plain-text-password on EX

Posted 12-02-2021 05:56
    Sounds like something is corrupted either hardware or software.

Try the process again after a shutdown and clean startup.  Not a reboot but a full power off.

If it still occurs, I would save a copy of of the configuration and then zeroize the device and load the configuration again.  If it still does this after this process I would think there is an hardware problem that can't be user repaired and you might need an RMA.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 5.  RE: Can't set plain-text-password on EX

Posted 12-02-2021 19:55
    Thank you Steve. I zeroized the switch and it accepted my commands properly!

JOHN HIGH