Switching

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  Can't set plain-text-password on EX

Posted 12-01-2021 15:10
    Hello!

I'm unfortunately having trouble setting a plain text password for my admin user account on the EX3400 switch. It seems like no one else has had this issue on the forum, at least I was unable to find a similar issue.

This is what I'm getting:
    #set system login user admin authentication plain-text-password                                      <---- Here I input the command to set the password
                                                                                                                                                                                            <---- Nothing happens for a while (I've waited up to 10 mins)
    ^C[abort]                                                                                                                                                                  <---- I hit ctrl + c to abort
    New Password:                                                                                                                                                      <---- I'm prompted for a new password and I enter the password.
                                                                                                                                                                                             <---- I'm not prompted to confirm the password and returned to the top of the config.
    #show | compare​                                                                                                                                                   <---- I try and view the changes that I've made to the candidate config but nothing is showing.​

Then when I commit and try to login with the password it doesn't work. It works over neither SSH nor console and I have access to both.​

Is anyone able to see what I am doing wrong here? I've provided some extra details below. I appreciate anyone's help and will gladly provide more info if needed.

Device: EX3400-48P
    Version: 20.2R3.9

------------------------------
    JOHN HIGH

• 2.  RE: Can't set plain-text-password on EX

Posted 12-01-2021 17:13
    Can you confirm if the account you are using to set the password has sufficient privilege's ?

ANKUR

• 3.  RE: Can't set plain-text-password on EX

Posted 12-01-2021 23:09
    Hello Ankur!

I can confirm that I am logged in as root when I try to configure the password. I'm also trying to make this configuration change over the console port if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

JOHN HIGH

• 4.  RE: Can't set plain-text-password on EX

Posted 12-02-2021 05:56
    Sounds like something is corrupted either hardware or software.

Try the process again after a shutdown and clean startup.  Not a reboot but a full power off.

If it still occurs, I would save a copy of of the configuration and then zeroize the device and load the configuration again.  If it still does this after this process I would think there is an hardware problem that can't be user repaired and you might need an RMA.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 5.  RE: Can't set plain-text-password on EX

Posted 12-02-2021 19:55
    Thank you Steve. I zeroized the switch and it accepted my commands properly!

JOHN HIGH