Switching

View Only

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

Resilient hashing on ECMP

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Resilient hashing on ECMP

Posted 12-01-2021 05:43
    Hi, I have the need to implement resilient hashing on QFX5200 platform, "set forwarding-options enhanced-hash-key ecmp-resilient-hash", ECMP next-hops are stateful SRXes, so if one ECMP next-hop fails and new next-hop is added, I want sessions currently being routed to other SRXes are not impacted, according to the documentation, the above command seems to be able to achieve my goal.

However I have one doubt about how this resilient-hash works, say  there are existing sessions being forwarded to ECMP next-hop A, B, C based on whatever hashing algorithm, now a new ECMP next-hop D is added to the group, obviously QFX will need to load balance traffic to D, but how does QFX  decide existing flows should ever be routed to D?  QFX5200 is not a stateful devices, I suppose it won't be able to keep any session info in its PFE, it won't know a session is terminated or not, right?

Appreciate your response.