Training and Certification

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

How to get the most from Juniper's education services and get advice on your certification journey.
  • 1.  Do you have questions about the JNCIA-Junos exam?

Posted 01-27-2022 19:38
    Are you studying to take the JNCIA-Junos exam? Feel free to reply to this thread with any questions you might have . JNCIA-Junos webcast attendees are also encouraged to post any questions here.

Have you passed the JNCIA-Junos exam recently? Please share your tips with the community!

------------------------------
    Christine Carcallas

• 2.  RE: Do you have questions about the JNCIA-Junos exam?

Posted 01-28-2022 13:48

Thank you to those that attended today's JNCIA-Junos webcast. Here are the links to resources that our instructor shared:

Christine Carcallas

• 3.  RE: Do you have questions about the JNCIA-Junos exam?

Posted 02-02-2022 14:47
    There were lots of good questions on the last JNCIA-Junos webcast. I captured a few below along with the instructor's answers:

1. What is difference between RE and PFE?
      Firstly, Lets understand them individually.

Routing Engine (RE)-The RE is the brain of the platform; it is responsible for performing protocol updates and system management. The RE runs various protocol and management software processes that reside inside a protected memory environment. The RE maintains the routing tables (also known as routing information base [RIB]), bridging table, and primary forwarding table (also known as forwarding information base [FIB]) and connects to the Packet Forwarding Engine (PFE) through an internal link.

Packet Forwarding Engine (PFE)-The PFE is the bran, it is the central processing component of the forwarding plane. It receives the forwarding table from the RE by means of an internal link. The PFE systematically forwards traffic based on its local copy of the forwarding table. The PFE's forwarding table is a synchronized copy of the information created on and provided by the RE. Storing and using a local copy of the forwarding table allows the PFE to forward traffic more efficiently and eliminates the need to consult the RE each time a packet needs to be processed. The PFE also maintains Layer 2 bridging information.

So in a way PFE is a subset of RE. PFE maintains synchronized copy of the information created on and provided by the RE and runs the show. It's used to reduce the work load on RE as RE handles much more trivial processes.

Note: this is just few features of RE and PFE. To know more please visit the following links:

Junos OS architecture- https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/junos-overview/topics/concept/junos-software-architecture.html

RE- https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/routing-engine-m7i-architecture.html

PFE- https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/junos-overview/topics/concept/junos-software-architecture.html#junos-os-architecture-overview__id-10113981

2. Do import or export policies refer to how to call policies on routing protocols to import or export routes from/to another protocol?
      Routing policy permits you to control the routing information flow to and from the routing table also known as routing information base (RIB). You can apply routing policy as information enters the routing table and as information is copied from the routing table. You can use the routing policy to choose which routes you accept or reject from neighbors running dynamic routing protocols. You can also use the routing policy to choose which routes you send to neighbors running dynamic routing protocols. Routing policy also allows you to modify attributes on routes as they enter or leave the routing table.

Routing policy permits you to control the flow of routing information into the forwarding table also known as forwarding information base (FIB). This use allows you to control which routes you install in the forwarding table and control some of the attributes associated with those routes.

For example, suppose you have an OSPF route with a preference 10 and a BGP route with a preference 170 for the same prefix. An export policy determines whether to send the active OSPF route and modifies attributes of the route as the software sends it. However, the export policy cannot cause the software to send the inactive BGP route.

For more details on routing policy, you can visit https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/contrail20/topics/concept/contrail-routing-policy-sp-features.html

3. Do you think it's important to practice using a vSRX, just to be familiar with the configuration?
      Absolutely! In fact, I'd strongly recommend that. If you attend our IJOS course, we do have labs which would encourage you to experience Junos OS via labs. Please try and leverage the free labs Juniper has to offer. Here is the link-https://jlabs.juniper.net/vlabs/

Do you have any questions regarding the JNCIA-Junos exam? Post them below!

Christine Carcallas

• 4.  RE: Do you have questions about the JNCIA-Junos exam?

Posted 05-03-2022 15:54
    Hi,

My name is Cássio and I'm from Brazil... I don't know where to start but I love Juniper and here we use the MX204 box.
    Can anyone give me tips for certification?

Thank you!

Cassio Novaes

• 5.  RE: Do you have questions about the JNCIA-Junos exam?

Posted 05-04-2022 10:43
    Cassio, you are on the correct thread as a starting point for learning Junos.  The resources listed in the first post followed in order would prepare you to take the first level JNCIA-Junos certification.

From there you would have several options depending on how your use of Junos is in your environment.  The MX204 gets used both in service provider and enterprise networks.  So either the JNCIS-SP for service provider or JNCIS-ENT for enterprise would be a logical follow on.

And automation is becoming more prevalent in networks as well.  So after you understand basic configuration, pursuing JNCIA-DevOps might make sense as well for a learning path.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 6.  RE: Do you have questions about the JNCIA-Junos exam?

Posted 05-05-2022 12:07
    Hi,

Is there any material study guide for the certifications? I`m an old school guy, I like reading whenever I have time. In the bath room, beach, on plane and so on.
    All the training needs internet connection and computers, most of them are videos.
    I tried to do my research but I found some very old books only (10-20 years ago published...). I read some of the day one books and watched the complete free course videos and made the voucher assessment test. It contained a lot of question which isn`t in the videos or day one books. And with the videos I don`t have the chance as the
    books to go back page 99 for example and read it again properly.

Thanks for your advice,
    Balazs

BALAZS KISS

• 7.  RE: Do you have questions about the JNCIA-Junos exam?

Posted 05-05-2022 12:15
    Hi Balazs,

Thank you for reaching out.

You can find many resources on Juniper Learning Portal which will help you prepare for certification exams.
    https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_activity_info.aspx?id=JUNIPER-OPEN-LEARNING

In the link above, there is a section on "Technology Introduction Courses" and on "Certification Tracks and Resources". Under these sections, you can select the resource of your preference. Most of the resources are in the form of video in order to provide better understanding. Alternatively, you can also get subscription to All Access Training Pass or to a specific On-Demand course. With this, you can get lab access for one year along with the associated books.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Thank you.

Avnika Malhotra

• 8.  RE: Do you have questions about the JNCIA-Junos exam?

Posted 05-05-2022 15:05
    The best traditional book format tool is the Day One Junos Beginners Guide that covers all the topics in the JNCIA-Junos.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/day-one-books/junos-beginners-guide.pdf

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 9.  RE: Do you have questions about the JNCIA-Junos exam?

Posted 05-06-2022 18:33
    Hello Steve! Thanks for the clarification, I hope I can grow on this wonderful platform.

regards

Cassio Novaes

• 10.  RE: Do you have questions about the JNCIA-Junos exam?

Posted 05-11-2022 16:56
    Hi  Christine,

What must i do if i missed that Exam today? I couldn't write on time?

what must i do?

Exam:

JN0-104 - Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos) - English (ENU)

Candidate:

Mr. S Fotolela

Client Candidate ID:

‎JPR00*****2‎

Registration ID:

‎4210****1‎

Date:

‎Wednesday, May 11, 2022‎

Time:

‎04:15 PM South Africa Standard Time‎‎

Appointment Length:

‎90‎ Minutes‎

System test:

Test your system

Exam check-in: 

Check in to start exam

‎Check-in begins 30 minutes prior to the appointment time or, sign into your candidate website.‎

Please help me

SAM FOTOLELA