Community Talk

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Learn how to best utilize the Elevate community and hear first about community updates.
  • 1.  Blog section - Latest Comments - Does not seem to work

Posted 04-20-2013 05:45

The blog section notes how many unread items you have on a section.

But when you enter that section there is a listing on the right side called "Latest Comments" which never seems to match where the actual most recent comment is posted.

For example, today my status showed 1 unread item in "The New Network" blog.

Open that blog and the "Latest comments" shows:

Jibran Rafat(anon) on: The Next Chapter in the Converged Supercore

But this is already read by me and the true latest comment is on the second page:

by Charuhas on the blog post "Decoding SDN"

This makes finding the real latest comments a pain, and sometimes I just give up looking for them and mark all as read.

• 2.  RE: Blog section - Latest Comments - Does not seem to work

Posted 04-21-2013 07:46

Hi Steve-

Unlike the unread blog feature I don't believe that latest comments work the same way. They remain the same whether you've read them or not, in other words they aren't personalized for the user. I will check with Lithium to see if this is something on their roadmap. I'll be attending their conference next week so I'll be sure to ask. Let me know if there are any other features you would like to see. 🙂

Thank you for your feedback!

Julie

• 3.  RE: Blog section - Latest Comments - Does not seem to work

Posted 04-21-2013 08:41

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

What I mean is "Most Recent comments" does not work correctly.

Right now Most Recent commetns on "The New Network" blog shows this comment:

‎04-05-2013 03:45 AM - by Jibran Rafat on "The Next Chapter in the Converged Supercore"

The actual most recent comment is this one

04-18-2013 10:03 PM - by Charuhas on the blog post "Decoding SDN"

Because "Most recent" comment does not work, it makes it hard to find new recent comments.

• 4.  RE: Blog section - Latest Comments - Does not seem to work

Posted 04-21-2013 09:07
    Hi Steve-

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'll look into this further with Lithium and get back to you.

Thank you!
    Julie

• 5.  RE: Blog section - Latest Comments - Does not seem to work
    Best Answer

Posted 04-22-2013 12:16

Hi Steve- I brought this to the attention of our platform provider Lithium and it seems that is how the "Latest Blog comments" functions. Here is the explanation:

While the traditional thinking is that it displays the most recent comments made, it's actually different for that component. Instead, the latest blog comments component works by taking the ten most recently posted articles and then outputs the latest comment from each, date descending by blog article.

This is done as to prevent the same article from displaying numerous recent posts, in a situation where a popular article might get the twenty most recent comments, resulting in the component being overloaded and only displaying comments from that one article.

T
    hey said that it can be somewhat confusing and misleading for users, so I'll add an "idea" to their forums suggesting that it display the most recent comments as the component itself states, or then they should title it something else.

Again, thank you for your feedback!

• 6.  RE: Blog section - Latest Comments - Does not seem to work

Posted 04-25-2013 03:51

I must be dense.  I had to read their response several times to understand what they are doing.

And I still don't know WHY they think this is a good idea.

If I follow a blog concept, I want to see the new comments in general not just on the new entries.  Seems just silly to me.

Thanks for seeing if it can be updated.