Junos OS

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Two VMNIC'S from VMware to a Juniper switch

Posted 03-27-2023 17:16
    Edited by Zurratos 03-27-2023 18:07

Hello, 

I have a VMware server with two VMNIC'S, I want to connect them to Juniper Switch, those two VMNIC'S for public network redundancy one is active and the other is standby ( nic teaming) 

The question is can I configure both as normal VLAN means as a members of a public VLAN?  Or should I assign them as access or trunk?

Because the first VMNIC I configure it as a member of public VLAN without adding the mode like access or trunk?

The same for Mikrotik router I have two interfaces on Mikrotik and I need to connect two ports of Mikrotik to two interfaces to Juniper Switch ?

for example let's imagine ether2,ether3 on Mikortik connected to 

set interfaces ge-0/0/10 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members public

set interfaces ge-0/0/11 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members public

And thos two ports are connected to two interfaces on Mikrotik and I need to assign those two ports to the same VLAN on Juniper ?

Best regards, 

------------------------------
    Zurratos Zurratos

• 2.  RE: Two VMNIC'S from VMware to a Juniper switch

Posted 03-27-2023 20:22

The way vmware works you can configure both as normal vlan either access or trunk ports.  Naturally with access you only get one vlan and trunk allows multiple vlans to be available to you VMs.  With nic teaming they both back each other up inside the server.

With multiple vlan you would create virtual networks and assign matching tags in vsphere and each vlan would have their own vSwitch for the VMs to connect.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP - Retired)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Two VMNIC'S from VMware to a Juniper switch

Posted 03-28-2023 03:47

Thanks a lot for the answer and what about Mikrotik part ? 

I have also one mikrotik router , I connected two interfaces from this router to Juniper for redundancy so can I assign the two ports from Mikortik to the same VLAN on the same Juniper  using the following commands 

set interfaces ge-0/0/12 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members public

set interfaces ge-0/0/13 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members public

Zurratos Zurratos

• 4.  RE: Two VMNIC'S from VMware to a Juniper switch

Posted 03-28-2023 06:26

Having the two ports active in the same vlan on the Microtik will depend on what that configuration is on the other side.  As long as the configuration there does not create a loop it would be fine.  I'm not sure what role the Microtik is playing here.

If you are looking for link redundancy the more typical solution would be to make an AE (aggregated ethernet) link between the Mikrotik and Juniper switch with two members.

IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP - Retired)

• 5.  RE: Two VMNIC'S from VMware to a Juniper switch

Posted 03-28-2023 06:41

Hello @spuluka 

The two ports from the Mikrotik are a part of a bridge , and it's connected as well to VMware server .

Zurratos Zurratos

• 6.  RE: Two VMNIC'S from VMware to a Juniper switch

Posted 03-28-2023 07:45

A bridge would likely create a loop.  A bridge group in Juniper is a link that holds all the connected ports into the same broadcast domain.  Assuming that is so on the Mikrotik too then this configuration would be the same as connecting the two ports on the vlan together creating a layer two loop.